Urgent help needed

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Greenwich Mum

Urgent help needed

Post by Greenwich Mum »

My son had to remark some A level papers as was just a couple of marks away from a higher grade. Unfortunately, I was off sick after having a complicated surgery and did not have the money. The deadline was 19th of September.
I have only now managed to borrow money. Does anyone have any experience of applying for a remark after deadline with some special circumstances?
Please, I really need help. Thanks
mad?

Re: Urgent help needed

Post by mad? »

I'm so sorry to hear of your circumstances. I'm afraid I have no knowledge or experience of this (thankfully) but suggest the first thing you do is contact the school/test centre to ask their advice. Good luck :)
mad?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Yes, your school's exam officer is the one to talk to first thing tomorrow. Good luck.
scary mum
Greenwich Mum

Post by Greenwich Mum »

Thanks so much.
I will go to his school first thing tomorrow.
I just hope that there could be something when special circumstances are taken into account.
Greenwich Mum

Post by Greenwich Mum »

I am just so heartbroken because 2 marks would have made DC’s dream come true.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Please do remember that, even if there is an allowance to let the remark happen past the deadline day, there is no guarantee that it would result in 2 gained marks - and the marks could go down.
Greenwich Mum

Post by Greenwich Mum »

Thanks, i know, yes.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I also have to be honest and say that I think you will not be allowed to get a remark now the deadline has passed, regardless of the circumstances, as there has been plenty of opportunity since results day - Speak to your exams officer and, if they say it is not possible - get your son to speak to the school careers adviser about applying to uni for 2020 entry - having his grades up front means he can make a sensible early application.
Greenwich Mum

Post by Greenwich Mum »

Hi, yes, the exams officer at school said we can’t apply for a remark after the deadline.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Did he lose an offer because of not reaching the grades?

He should have been offered a priority remark on results day.

Our school has a different colour form for a priority remark and the money is refunded if the paper goes up a grade for all remarks.

Both my dds took a year out and ended up going somewhere different than originally planned and gained enormously from the time spent away from education.

It may feel terrible now but something good will come out of it and when he does get to uni he will appreciate it more because it was harder to come by.

In my experience deadlines really are deadlines in education and should be taken very very seriously.

There are no special reasons to change that.

A friend of mine ended up having to drive to one of the unis and hand deliver marked essays from the school that were requested by a deadline that could not be met by any postal service. DG