Stage 2 maths

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
K80055

Stage 2 maths

Post by K80055 »

Hi. I’m a new member so hope someone can help.

Does anyone know if the written maths test requires you to show workings out? I know some tests give or drop you some marks if you do/don’t. My DS tends to do a lot in his head but I’ve been trying to get him to do workings on paper if only to help with checking his answers back. He might listen to me more if it will affect his score!

Thanks so much.
Pinkpelican

Re: Stage 2 maths

Post by Pinkpelican »

Hi there K8,

My son was the same, working out everything in his head and I was panicking and thinking how easy it is to makr a mistake like that (by the way he did 11+ last year). To my surprise, when he sat his second test for SGS and Wilson's they were specifically told that there is no need to show any workings on paper. I am not sure about Tiffin test but considering the fact that he passed that too, I am sure it was the same scenario.

I don't know whether this changes and whether last year was an exception but in our experience workings out were not necessary to be shown.

Good luck for the second stage !

PP
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Writing down working in standard format test may earn you some marks, even if answer is not correct.
K80055

Post by K80055 »

Thanks so much for your help. Fingers crossed for 5th! Sounds like your DS did very well.

Do you know if Wilson's had a higher pass mark than Sutton in Stage 1? My Ds got both but wondered whether that means he did better than some others. Panicking about everything at the moment!

Thanks
Irisa

Post by Irisa »

K80055 wrote:
Do you know if Wilson's had a higher pass mark than Sutton in Stage 1? My Ds got both but wondered whether that means he did better than some others. Panicking about everything at the moment!

Thanks
it would seem so, as someone has mentioned that their son had passed to 2nd stage for Sutton grammar but not for Wilson's.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Don’t panic and don’t worry about SET scores, instead concentrate on Stage 2 test.
K80055

Post by K80055 »

Thank you. I guess it's not so important as Wilson's uses a smaller percentage of the SET score anyway.

I know I shouldn't worry as what will be will be! Proud of my son for doing well so far.
mp1981

Post by mp1981 »

Will my daughter’s working out receive any marks in the Maths paper?
No. Only the answer your daughter puts on the answer paper will be marked.

Where can my daughter do her working out in the Maths paper?
If there is not enough space on the paper, candidates will be given rough paper to do any working out. This will be collected in and thrown away. It will not be marked.

http://www.wallingtongirls.sutton.sch.u ... -Test-2019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I really cannot suggest strongly enough how important it is to try to not show any stress. Panicking about a score of a test your son/daughter passed will invarioably permeate to your child and may unnecessarily worry them on the day.

They've clearly done the work. Outside of a test environment they would pass with flying colours, so a HUGE percentage of the chance of passing is about mindset and physical wellbeing. That is the one thing you can control through how you carry yourself and engage with your child. They pick up on EVERYTHING so just encourage and praise...we can go back to being panicky and bossy parents after Saturday/next weekend!

Good luck all.
K80055

Post by K80055 »

Thanks for the information. The girls’ schools seem to cover a lot more info.

My son is very calm and not phased at all so all’s going really well so far. I’m not generally panicky btw, just want him to do well for himself. Soon be over!
Pinkpelican

Post by Pinkpelican »

I agree wholeheartedly with mp1981. Try to be as relaxed as possible. It all rubs off on them. Easier said then do e but it really helps on the day of the exam.

As far as markings go, SGS first test counts towards 40% of the score and their second test counts as 60% of the total score. Wilson's is slightly different....20% for the first test and 80% towards the second. This means if the child hasn't done so well on their first test, there is still room to pick up their score on the second.

PP
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now