German or Greek in year 8 at CRGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

SpellingB

German or Greek in year 8 at CRGS

Post by SpellingB »

KB

Post by KB »

Pretty sure that they just run the number of classes necessary. Numbers vary from year to year. Unlikely not to be able to get his chosen language.
(only speaking from experience -DS just finished year 13)
SpellingB

Post by SpellingB »

KB

Post by KB »

The forms are normally mixed up so no I don't think it will help them - nice try though! (Isn't it year 9 they get put into 4 classes? - when 13plus boys come in - & they will be set for maths & french as well)
Yes - they do greek / german as well as latin & french until end year 9. GCSE options then start in year 10.
Do remember that they can't take greek / german at GCSE unless they have taken it in years 8 & 9 so do need to do a bit of thinking ahead :)
If considering Classics / MFL at 'A' level this could be an issue.
If you are good at science you tend to do better with classics than MFL - generalisation I know!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Do they ever take GCSE's early at crgs?
SpellingB

Post by SpellingB »

KB

Post by KB »

Tipsy - to date they haven't done GCSEs early -not even Maths, which many schools do, although the top set(s) take Statistics as an additional subject. Guess this may change with more modular exams being introduced.

jazzteddy - my recollection (from a few years ago now!) is that the forms are just mixed up in year 8 (& they try to put each boy with at least one selected friend) but I may be wrong. Am sure the majority aren't thinking forward to A level when they choose between Greek & German, but as you say there are a few who are very clear from an early age 'where they are going' - not sure if this is good or bad though :)
Sounds like your elder one has a dream job!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now