Dysgraphia Diagnosis and Support

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

TinyWren

Dysgraphia Diagnosis and Support

Post by TinyWren »

Hi everyone,

My son has recently started year 5 and we would like him to sit the 11+ next year. His maths, VR and non-VR is fine, there is no problem with his reading, vocabulary and understanding but his handwriting is dreadful. Often he is asked to repeat his written homework due to the presentation, however when I delved deeper to resolve the handwriting issue during the summer holiday, I discovered he was unable to form his letters correctly, mixes up capitals, can't space his words, it really is just dreadful and having researched a little further, I think it may be possible that he has dysgraphia. This also ties in with his drawing, that could be from a reception child. It hasn't helped that the school have insisted on him joining up before his letter formation was secure and still insist on joining up because although it's not necessary for the 11+, it is for the SATs.

Can anyone recommend an OT or somebody that is able to formally test and diagnose dysgraphia? (I can find dyslexia but not dysgraphia). I've checked Dr Google but not managed to find anyone in Essex, so the name and contact details or web address of a professional/centre would be great!

IF there is a problem, would he be able to have a scribe/laptop in the 11+?

Would this need a formal diagnosis or would the school SENco be able to request this? (I suspect not - it would open up a can of worms! :lol: )

Thank you everyone.
ToadMum

Re: Dysgraphia Diagnosis and Support

Post by ToadMum »

Have PM'd you :).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Depending on your nhs trust, your gp may be able to refer you to an OT, although in our area (EKHSj they require the child to have done fine and gross motor skill programmes in school first.

There is an excellent handwriting programme, devised by OTs, called “Write From The Start”
I bought it from Amazon for the children I was working with, it was around £26.

Have you spoken to the Senco at your school?
TinyWren

Post by TinyWren »

Thank you ToadMum!

Thank you yoyo123, I will check out the programme. I've requested a meeting with the Senco but haven't yet received a date.
Nella

Post by Nella »

Hi Tinywren,
Similar issues here with my son. He has hypermobility and had problems with core stability. Had huge consequences for his ability to write. In our area we are able to self refer to OT and physio and they did a joint assessment and made recommendations for the school.
Things that really helped:
-increasing core stability and shoulder strength (using a chalk board to make big letters, those gymnastic ribbons are good for moving the whole arm and shoulder too)
- lots of exercises involving crossing the midline. Went to Gymnastic club and now self defence.
- school did ‘speed up’ writing programme that really helped too.
- writing with a pen rather than pencil (pressed far too hard with pencil)

His writing improved so much following these interventions
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now