Re: Trinity /whitgift - Music Scholarship

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jcmum

Post by jcmum »

Hi,

Just trying to ascertain what music commitment is required if the child gets a Music scholarship at Whitgift or Trinity? Does it involve a lot of concerts, ensemble etc........ . Would this in future put additional pressure on the child in terms of academics, especailly if the child does not want to pursue music as a career. or as Music scholars are they required to participate in all the music activities without the option of opting out?

Have heard at some schools music scholars can find it difficult to cope with their academics (in later years) as they have lot of rehearsals and often miss academic classes. After school school rehearsals and concerts can put a lot of pressure on the child, especially if they are not wanting to pursue music. I understand there would be a reduction in fees which would help, but at the same time would not want to pressurise the child unnecessarily.

Any info / your thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks.
mad?

Post by mad? »

I'm not sure about these particular schools but in general the answer is yes, music scholars are expected to participate fully in the music life of the school. The scholarships are awarded in part to enable those children whose interests lie in a potential music career to have that opportunity, and their commitment would be required.
mad?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think there can be a fair bit of pressure - also be wary of how much reduction there is in fees, I knew one girl (another school) who only got free music lessons, no reduction in fees as the "honour of the scholarship was enough" :oops:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now