SW Herts scores, what are they out of?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Valkyrie

SW Herts scores, what are they out of?

Post by Valkyrie »

Hello,

I can’t find an obvious answer, so hoping you can help.
The various schools give a score each year that had to be reached to enter. E.g Clement Danes for past few years has had around 215 to 220.
What is that score out of?
If the verbal reasoning test has ~80 questions and the maths paper has ~50 questions, what would a child need to score on each paper to get 220?

Thanks a mill - I can’t figure out this mystery.

- L
Daogroupie

Re: SW Herts scores, what are they out of?

Post by Daogroupie »

It is a standardised score based on their age compared to the cohort. DG
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I’m afraid you won’t get a satisfactory answer. Standardised scores are based around the children sitting the test and they are used to rank the results. The average score is usually 100 and GL exams tend to be capped at 140/141 but CEM can be higher.

So the standardised score is not a simple reflection of how well your child did in the test. It is a reflection of how well your child did in comparison to the other children sitting the test.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Valkyrie wrote:Hello,

I can’t find an obvious answer, so hoping you can help.
The various schools give a score each year that had to be reached to enter. E.g Clement Danes for past few years has had around 215 to 220.
What is that score out of?
If the verbal reasoning test has ~80 questions and the maths paper has ~50 questions, what would a child need to score on each paper to get 220?

Thanks a mill - I can’t figure out this mystery.

- L
They are standardised scores, not 'out of' anything. They tell you about the candidate's position within the cohort - normally, approximately 16% will have a score above 230 on a 2 paper test, but the closer to the 200 mark (representing the mean raw score) their score is, the more there are on or around that score, because the distribution of scores will follow a 'bell curve' shape.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie »

Thank you toadmum yes I had forgotten to include that in my post. Was looking for the theoretical maximum. It looks like from what Mitasol says that this could be 140+140 for a child w/ dob of aug 31st?

Thx a mill
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

All birth months can obtain the maximum standardised score.
Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie »

Thanks toadmum that explains perfectly. Cheers
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now