? Failing Kent & Medway = less chance of successful appeal

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bertie28

? Failing Kent & Medway = less chance of successful appeal

Post by Bertie28 »

Hey everyone!
It’s my first time posting. My daughter is taking both the Medway and Kent 11+ Very shortly - we live in Medway.
One of the other mums has said that she’s been told by a local tutoring organisation that if the child fails both tests it would negatively impact your chances of appeal/review. Does anyone know if this is accurate? If it is I’d rather withdraw her from the Kent test as I’m pretty confident we’d be successful based on a review of her year 5 work (the school have said we should be if it comes to it). I don’t want to do anything that may disadvantage her so am now stressing a bit in light of this feedback. I’m going to try and speak to the head teacher of her school to see what his view is too as I guess he should know. We opted in for the Kent test as it seemed sensible in terms of widening her options. But ultimately her preference is to go to a Medway Grammar.
Thanks for reading
Taraific

Re: ? Failing Kent & Medway = less chance of successful appe

Post by Taraific »

Absolute tosh :D

The appeal panel wouldn’t even know how many tests your DC took unless you told them. They don’t hold that kind of information.

It is however, extremely hard to win at appeal/review for Medway. (2019 success rate was 0.12%) So if your covering all your bases, your better taking your chances at appeal for Kent.

Edit to add: I have sent you a PM. There is a very good site which holds lots of information on Medway schools.
Bertie28

Post by Bertie28 »

Thanks so much for your reply and PM! I did say the same thing in that ‘how would they know my daughter failed both’ but was told they would! It doesn’t look great from what you’ve said about our chances of review/appeal thou! Which is a further worry but hey ho! Thanks again
Taraific

Post by Taraific »

It’s two different processes with Medway and Kent. From my understanding, the Medway review process is complex and controversial!
Just to add, a couple of the Chatham schools accept a Kent OR a Medway pass for admissions. So depending on which school your applying for, your best taking both.
Bertie28

Post by Bertie28 »

Typical that the Medway process is complex & controversial!!
I think we’ll stick with both as like you say she could potentially go to a Chatham Grammar school if she passes the Kent test.
Thanks for your help
olucares

Post by olucares »

Taraific wrote:Absolute tosh :D

The appeal panel wouldn’t even know how many tests your DC took unless you told them. They don’t hold that kind of information.

It is however, extremely hard to win at appeal/review for Medway. (2019 success rate was 0.12%) So if your covering all your bases, your better taking your chances at appeal for Kent.

Edit to add: I have sent you a PM. There is a very good site which holds lots of information on Medway schools.

They would. I know personally of someone who appealed last year at Chatham Girls and the panel told the mum (my friend) her daughter's Kent score, they had it in front of them. My friend's daughter had also failed Kent. However, her appeal was successful.
Taraific

Post by Taraific »

olucares wrote:

They would. I know personally of someone who appealed last year at Chatham Girls and the panel told the mum (my friend) her daughter's Kent score, they had it in front of them. My friend's daughter had also failed Kent. However, her appeal was successful.
That’s because Chatham Girls accept a Kent OR Medway pass for admissions.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Peter: Not tosh at all. The whole application form,including reasons for applying for a school is sent to Admission Authorities in Medway (but not Kent) to be provided as evidence for appeal panels when considering appeals.