Bond 11+ books - age bracket

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Smyth005

Bond 11+ books - age bracket

Post by Smyth005 »

Hi I’m a bit confused about what level books my daughter should be at to be on course for the 11 plus exam. She has just started year 5 and is age 9 and will be 10 when she sits the 11+. She is currently working on age 9-10. Does she need to have mastered 10-11+ by the time she sits the exam?

Thanks
RedDevil66

Re: Bond 11+ books - age bracket

Post by RedDevil66 »

Smyth005 wrote:Hi I’m a bit confused about what level books my daughter should be at to be on course for the 11 plus exam. She has just started year 5 and is age 9 and will be 10 when she sits the 11+. She is currently working on age 9-10. Does she need to have mastered 10-11+ by the time she sits the exam?

Thanks
All children move at their own pace. If she finds the 9-10 manageable then don't push it, is my advice. Steady progress is better at this stage than trying to force through some sort of acceleration. The Bond books are ok but not the be all of the curriculum. Mastering the 10-11+ doesn't guarantee what type of questions come up. Next year the examiners may throw in a question that Bond or any other providers could not anticipate.
IMO it's far better to work alongside your DD and focus on areas that she finds tricky or needs more practice in. Look at the topics she may not be getting right in the books and supplement it with some extra practice. It's the applied reasoning in maths that throws most candidates and with regard to the English, a wider reading will greatly benefit.
A lot more contemporary literature is being used nowadays to combat the saturation reading of 'Classic,' literature. In short, read a variety of topics-and make sure you're enjoying it. Look at different styles of practice papers
Hope it helps.

PM me if you need some advice on material etc.
11plusjunkie

Re: Bond 11+ books - age bracket

Post by 11plusjunkie »

Yes- bond 10-11 is aimed at year 5.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now