Why Bother

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
in Turmoil

Why Bother

Post by in Turmoil »

Has anyone been successful with their appeal against oversubscription.

We went this week with what we thought was exceptional evidence. GP's letter detailing panic attacks and low self esteem due to bullying stating it was "imperative" that this school was attended. Strong letter from the head supporting us and detailing bullying. Letter stating that child has olympic potential and needed to be at a school with a pool to train. The chairman of the appeal panel even said "strong evidence" during the appeal and still we are refused.

Would love to know if anyone has got what they wanted and with what evidence!
In Turmoil
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Sorry to hear the bad news - have you thought about a sports scholarship to an independent? But in answer to your question "Why Bother?", you have to try or you would have always felt that you hadn't exhausted all avenues and you would have felt guilty. Good luck with your decisions.

All independents offer sports scholarships but Millfield and Pangbourne (boarding) are particularly good at allowing children to train as if they were professionals.
Jacknicmeg

Post by Jacknicmeg »

Have sent you a PM! Chin Up!
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Jacknicmeg, - great to see you're feeling better. Inturmoil, - best wishes, hope you find something suitable
bouga
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

So much depends on the school you are appealing for, the appeal panel you are allocated, and the strength of evidence of the other appeals that it's not really possible to compare your appeal with appeals for other schools. Sorry that it didn't work out for you and I really hope that you find an alternative solution.

When I was in a state of despair, having not got the school that we desperately wanted, someone said to me that in a year's time our DD would be settled at school and we would have forgotten all about the trauma. Not much comfort I know, but I guess it is probably true.

Best wishes
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sam's Mum wrote:So much depends on the school you are appealing for, the appeal panel you are allocated, and the strength of evidence of the other appeals that it's not really possible to compare your appeal with appeals for other schools.
I do agree with Sam's Mum.

Looked at in isolation, In Turmoil, your case appears to be a strong one.
Etienne
cindy

Post by cindy »

Hi there,

sorry to hear your news. However I would have thought that not all is lost.
You can appeal to all choices on your list, and then to any other. The others will refuse as a matter of course and then you can appeal any of these, on the basis that they declined entry.

The more goals you create, you are bound to score one.

Another parent last year , who I know appealed to three grammers and got the third.

Dont give up yet, but look for supporting evidence for all round ability, not just swimming.

god bless

cindy
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Sorry to hear your news, but to answer "Why Bother", I would say that there is always a chance.

For instance, my panel allowed 5 oversubscription appeals, and one oversubscription and non-qualified. No guarantees that next years panel will do the same thing - panels must now change regularly, and there's always a chance of not being one of the people whose appeals are allowed. But if you don't try it, I guarantee you will NOT get it!
Capers
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Capers...you are quite right - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I think it is worth pursuing an appeal if you think it is right for your child. Otherwise, you would always be left wondering "what if". However, even though it might be the obvious thing to do, it still takes quite a lot of courage to do it IMO.

I love Cindy's line "the more goals you create, you are bound to score one" - I never thought of it like that before. We only have one feasible option for grammar school, but we can still work on a Plan B (and possibly even Plan C, D, ad infinitum!)

When I read stories like Turmoil's, though, it does make me wonder what type of case does get through if one like that doesn't win? I can only guess that the prejudice to the school was considered to be higher in this case, difficult to understand how.

Best of luck. :)
Marylou
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now