Means of transport from Swindon to Gloucestershire schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tom.s

Means of transport from Swindon to Gloucestershire schools

Post by tom.s »

Dear all,
My DD sat in the 11+ exam last month. While waiting for the results I was just thinking of the means of transport to the schools. I am aware of Denwell bus service from Swindon to all Gloucestershire grammar schools which is a safe bet but perhaps there are other (faster/more direct) options available. In the case she qualifies for multiple schools we may need to consider the ease of transport as an additional factor in the school selection process.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
cazien

Re: Means of transport from Swindon to Gloucestershire schoo

Post by cazien »

I believe Denwell is the only transport provider, unless anyone knows different? The other alternatives:-
- the train (for Gloucester, the station it is walkable to Denmark, but I would recommend catching a Stagecoach bus to Ribston and Crypt).
- if you can find another parent who drives
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Hi

Some children currently take the train from Swindon to Stroud. It's about a 20 minute walk to school from the station. Be aware that GWR are planning timetable changes from December so it may not be workable after then.

Octsmum
tom.s

Post by tom.s »

Thanks both, I will look into the rail option.
tulips

Post by tulips »

Igobus run a good service starting in Cricklade, via Cirencester. It travels to Tommies and Denmark Road but also takes Pates students who change buses to a connecting igobus service at Brockworth.
RedMaple

Post by RedMaple »

Re: the proposed train timetable changes, this appeared in the Swindon Advertiser last week:
https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/new ... e-changes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Gosh, the dangers of spending a whole half hour on the mean streets of Stroud while all the shops, cafes etc are open :shock:.My child can be sent on the train on their own, because it's a grammar school, but they can't be trusted to spend a short time entertaining themselves at the end of the day in the place where the grammar school is located?

Or perhaps...

...We can look after the students, it won’t affect the staff if they stay later or arrive earlier. The library already stays open after school hours so it will allow more students to stay later and make use of it.”
?

Quote, member of Marling SLT.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now