Handsworths Boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Crazymum10

Handsworths Boys

Post by Crazymum10 »

Can anyone share their experiences about Handsworths Boys especially if children are studying there. Unfortunately, was unable to visit on the open day. How does it compare with other Grammar Schools? Need genuine advice before filling the LEA form.
helen0209

Re: Handsworths Boys

Post by helen0209 »

Crazymum10 wrote:Can anyone share their experiences about Handsworths Boys especially if children are studying there. Unfortunately, was unable to visit on the open day. How does it compare with other Grammar Schools? Need genuine advice before filling the LEA form.
I have one DS in Y10 and another in Y8 and am happy to give our experiences if required. Are you in the HGS catchment area, what did your son score and what is your preferred order for the CAF?

I really should learn how to post links to old threads, but if you search Handsworth Grammar Boys or go to the 4th page of the B’ham thread there are some experiences in there which should help. Actually, may have sussed it - try the link below.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 11&t=57794" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SVK

Post by SVK »

It's an outstanding school academic wise. Unfortunately the location is not brilliant, traffic and neighbourhood wise. The majority of student are of BAME group reflecting the demographic of Birmingham inner city. Many private school parents I know would shunned it, but I personally would have no qualms sending my children there if I my local comprehensive choice is limited. Before the new catchment rules comes to play, it has the lowest entry score for boys grammar. Last year the last in score for Handsworth Boy was 211 in comparison to 242 for Camphill Boys. No one know how things will change this year, but I am guessing it will have the most Cat 5 places available of all the grammar schools.
Crazymum10

Post by Crazymum10 »

Post subject: Re: Handsworths BoysPostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:38 pm

Crazymum10 wrote:
Can anyone share their experiences about Handsworths Boys especially if children are studying there. Unfortunately, was unable to visit on the open day. How does it compare with other Grammar Schools? Need genuine advice before filling the LEA form.

I have one DS in Y10 and another in Y8 and am happy to give our experiences if required. Are you in the HGS catchment area, what did your son score and what is your preferred order for the CAF?

I really should learn how to post links to old threads, but if you search Handsworth Grammar Boys or go to the 4th page of the B’ham thread there are some experiences in there which should help. Actually, may have sussed it - try the link below.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=57794
Helen0290 thankyou for your response. Yes , we are in the catchment for HB. Want to decide the preferred order for the CAF after getting the opinions. Score is very high. First choice will be CHB but it is OOC therefore likely to get whatever second choice I fill. Want to decide between QMGS, BV and HB. Child is highly academic.
Wildfuture

Post by Wildfuture »

Out of interest, why will camp Hill be your first choice? Given your other considerations and catchment it sounds like you are located in the North of the city? So what makes camp Hill appealing to want to make your son do the journey every day? Genuine question, not a judgement on you
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Wildfuture wrote:Out of interest, why will camp Hill be your first choice? Given your other considerations and catchment it sounds like you are located in the North of the city? So what makes camp Hill appealing to want to make your son do the journey every day? Genuine question, not a judgement on you

It is a very valid point WF - I suspect that it can be a huge problem for parents to realise that things are going to change and that because one school was the most academic, it may or may not stay that way with new catchments and allocation process.

Having said that - in Solihull decades ago, the schools became comprehensive, those that had been grammars remained the most popular as they were perceived to be better. The houses in the catchments had a premium - suspect the difference went on for some years
Nella

Post by Nella »

Crazymum10 wrote: .....Unfortunately, was unable to visit on the open day. How does it compare with other Grammar Schools? Need genuine advice before filling the LEA form.
Hi Crazymum, is there any chance that your son would be able to visit the Handsworth school before you submit the CAF? I think it is so important for children to be part of the decision process- I can’t imagine sending my DC to a school that they hadn’t visited. We have visited several local non selective schools as well as our catchment grammar. Luckily DC is buzzing about them all, so I feel that DC has a plan A, B, C and D that they will be happy with. For me that is the most important thing.
Crazymum10

Post by Crazymum10 »

In central Birmingham so CHB closer to home and also from work.
Crazymum10

Post by Crazymum10 »

Hi Crazymum, is there any chance that your son would be able to visit the Handsworth school before you submit the CAF? I think it is so important for children to be part of the decision process- I can’t imagine sending my DC to a school that they hadn’t visited. We have visited several local non selective schools as well as our catchment grammar. Luckily DC is buzzing about them all, so I feel that DC has a plan A, B, C and D that they will be happy with. For me that is the most important thing.
Not possible because of current medical problems.
That’s why I have asked for genuine advice on this forum.
Crazymum10

Post by Crazymum10 »

Out of interest, why will camp Hill be your first choice? Given your other considerations and catchment it sounds like you are located in the North of the city? So what makes camp Hill appealing to want to make your son do the journey every day? Genuine question, not a judgement on you
Closer to CHB rather than HB.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now