King Edward VI for girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Newbie_mummy

King Edward VI for girls

Post by Newbie_mummy »

Hi, firstly huge thank you for the invaluable resources and advice this forum has provided for our first experience of 11plus.
Just wanted to ask if anybody could suggest any typical writing topics that I can practice over the weekend with my daughter for the upcoming KEHS exam? Or direct me to any resources that would be helpful please? Having concentrated so much on the multiple choice type questions of the Birmingham and Walsall grammar school exams, I just want to get her into the swing of writing again but when I search online I'm drawing a blank.
We are applying for an assisted place and I'm not familiar at all with independent school, any help would be much appreciated. Thank you
Etana

Re: King Edward VI for girls

Post by Etana »

How did your child find the exam?
Newbie_mummy

Post by Newbie_mummy »

She found the maths questions quite tricky and was disheartened because she left out quite a few 2 mark questions. Told her not to worry about it at all. She felt the English went better. Did your daughter sit it?
Etana

Post by Etana »

Yes, just like your daughter she found the Maths tricky but thought the English was OK. Are the results posted in Dec?
aug78

Post by aug78 »

My daughter gave the exam. She said that the first English paper details of exam content removed by moderator . it had 15 lines to provide the answer and she used it all up. She asked for more paper and they said it wasn't allowed.

Her friend was taking the paper in another classroom. The children in her friend's classroom were given extra paper for continuing the answer.

Surely this can't be right?

My daughter was heartbroken coming out of the exam and speaking to her friend who told her that.

It doesn't seem right that she has to provide a 'half-answer' but other classes are allowed to complete the question as they wanted to in full detail.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

aug78 wrote:My daughter gave the exam. She said that the first English paper details of exam content removed by moderator . it had 15 lines to provide the answer and she used it all up. She asked for more paper and they said it wasn't allowed.

Her friend was taking the paper in another classroom. The children in her friend's classroom were given extra paper for continuing the answer.

My daughter was heartbroken coming out of the exam and speaking to her friend who told her that.

It doesn't seem right that she has to provide a 'half-answer' but other classes are allowed to complete the question as they wanted to in full detail.
What did the school say when you raised the matter with them at the time?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
aug78

Post by aug78 »

ToadMum wrote:
aug78 wrote:My daughter gave the exam. She said that the first English paper details of exam content removed by moderator . it had 15 lines to provide the answer and she used it all up. She asked for more paper and they said it wasn't allowed.

What did the school say when you raised the matter with them at the time?
This was Friday after the exam and we haven't raised it yet.

We were walking to our respective cars and my daughter and her school friends were walking and chatting and she started crying. It was all a bit confusing at that time. It was only when we got home and sat my daughter down and spoke to her in a calm environment that we understood what happened.

We even went back to her school friend to check there was no confusion and she stood by what she said that in her class the supervisor gave them extra sheets if they needed.

I was looking to raise it tomorrow morning with the school, but did anyone else receive similar feedback?
Newbie_mummy

Post by Newbie_mummy »

I'm so sorry your daughter felt so upset.
I asked my daughter and she says she didn't need extra paper....reason being that her paper was enlarged for some reason :? When I questioned her further she says that the paper took up her whole desk and was definitely on larger sized paper than other children's on nearby desks. She raised it with an invigilator who said "it doesn't matter". This was the case for all her papers. I remember it was a comment she made as soon as we got in the car....that the sheet was huge but I didn't ask more at the time.
Did anybody else have this? Find it a little odd. She doesn't have any visual impairment etc.
simplelearning

Post by simplelearning »

My daughter sat the test, she mains a calm persona so when asked about the exam she said it wasnt difficult. Only part she found to be challenging was the final few Maths questions. She said there was 15 lines to write and she used only 15 lines as she didnt know she was allowed more paper or not. I personally feel that 15 lines is normally enough for the school to see how a child is doing. My son is at KES so we're really hoping she gets in, logistically makes life very easy! Otherwise buses to KES and Camp Hill hopefully lol
Etana

Post by Etana »

My daughter said the same about the 15 lines and that was about enough for the time given for that question.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now