Birmingham admissions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Shabs34

Birmingham admissions

Post by Shabs34 »

I’m really confused by all this. I called the consortium and they said the 25% PP are a minimum. So potentially, if 120 boys in CH catchment who are claiming PP get 205 they get a place.

I know children in CH catchment that are not PP and no siblings who have got between 240 and 252 and they potentially will not be allocated a place.

I live in the CH catchment, Asian background, and I know 100’s of people in the area doing cash in hand work (taxi drivers!) claiming PP and have been spending £120/week on tuition.

How does this factor in to all of this?

Those that worked hard and got way higher than than 222 score don’t stand a chance!

I’ve attended the consultations Personal comments removed by moderator

Yes am very annoyed and frustrated! Why does the group not address this point?
hermanmunster

Re: Birmingham admissions

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi and welcome to the forum

I think if you look back on the forum there was a lot of discussion about the new proposals and I think there were several social media fora also doing the same.

Not much you can do now other than let HMRC / DWP know about the cash in hand workers if you genuinely have evidence
Nella

Post by Nella »

I sense your frustration; however the schools will know how many PP children applied to take the 11+ and also how many PP children have been admitted in previous years (and their scores). I’m sure they took these application patterns into account when setting the priority score.

It’s all a bit of a guessing game at the moment. No one will know how the catchment areas will affect the placements until offer day. Just list the schools on the CAF in your son’s order of preference
JanetH82

Post by JanetH82 »

I can understand you, I know lots of people do the same thing, they work at restaurants and get cash payment. Husband and wife both work and the payment is more than 200 hundreds every day, and live in the council house and apply for all the benefits, even when apply for school they get priorities as pp.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

JanetH82 wrote:I can understand you, I know lots of people do the same thing, they work at restaurants and get cash payment. Husband and wife both work and the payment is more than 200 hundreds every day, and live in the council house and apply for all the benefits, even when apply for school they get priorities as pp.
If you have evidence of people cheating the system then you need to report them
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

JanetH82 wrote:I can understand you, I know lots of people do the same thing, they work at restaurants and get cash payment. Husband and wife both work and the payment is more than 200 hundreds every day, and live in the council house and apply for all the benefits, even when apply for school they get priorities as pp.
I am sorry but these kinds of comments are deeply unhelpful and stigmatise PP children. You have absolutely no hard evidence to say that those actually getting PP places have cheated the system - if you have it, report them (reporting them here is not going to achieve anything!). There may well be some who manage to play the system and ‘succeed’ but there are many many more who don’t and no system is perfect. Besides, it is not just about cash income. It is about disadvantage and I don’t think you are in a position to say what kinds of personal, social and educational disadvantages those children have faced. Even if they get tuition, it is just a plaster for the gaping hole left by many of their schools.

It is also completely outrageous to talk about Asians on benefits when there are plenty of people of white and other backgrounds on benefits too. If you want to talk about manipulating the system, talk about the wealthy middle classes (of all backgrounds) who can elbow their way through any system to get a place for their child.

Finally, I really do get tired of people talking about how unfair it is that PP children get in on a lower score - apart from what I have mentioned above, those 25% of places they are allocated were added to the existing school to offer a PP option. They are taking places rightfully created for them.

And no, I am not defending it because we are PP.
:roll:
UmSusu
khyarenness

Post by khyarenness »

Shabs34 wrote:I’m really confused by all this. I called the consortium and they said the 25% PP are a minimum. So potentially, if 120 boys in CH catchment who are claiming PP get 205 they get a place.

I know children in CH catchment that are not PP and no siblings who have got between 240 and 252 and they potentially will not be allocated a place.

I live in the CH catchment, Asian background, and I know 100’s of people in the area doing cash in hand work (taxi drivers!) claiming PP and have been spending £120/week on tuition.

Those that worked hard and got way higher than than 222 score don’t stand a chance!

I don't think that if 120 pupils get 205 ( and less than the priority score) they get a place.

My understanding - I may be wrong - is that the 25% are only those for which the score is above 205 but lower than the "priority score". If a PP pupil has a score higher than the priority score he will be accepted but NOT in the category of PP, which makes sense. They cannot limit the PP pupils to 25% even if the PP pupils score up-270 ! This would be a segregation.
Wildfuture

Post by Wildfuture »

khyarenness wrote:
Shabs34 wrote:I’m really confused by all this. I called the consortium and they said the 25% PP are a minimum. So potentially, if 120 boys in CH catchment who are claiming PP get 205 they get a place.

I don't think that if 120 pupils get 205 ( and less than the priority score) they get a place.

My understanding - I may be wrong - is that the 25% are only those for which the score is above 205 but lower than the "priority score". If a PP pupil has a score higher than the priority score he will be accepted but NOT in the category of PP, which makes sense. They cannot limit the PP pupils to 25% even if the PP pupils score up-270 ! This would be a segregation.
Think you are wrong there. Surely a child will fall into one of the five categories? No ifs or buts
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

The below link (under accessibility) shows that all children eligible for the PP who achieve a standard qualifying score (205) and who live in the catchment area will be able to attend their local selective school if they want.

https://www.schoolsofkingedwardvi.co.uk ... licy-2020/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This to me means that it can be more than 25% - the 25% is a minimum.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I read it differently. There is no limit on in catchment PP. However if they are unable to fill 25% of places they will fill the places (up to 25%) with out of catchment PP.

Xposted and agree with helen
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now