Sutton Stage 1 & 2 cutoffs

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rd2312

Sutton Stage 1 & 2 cutoffs

Post by rd2312 »

Hello,

Does anybody know what the cutoff for stage one was for Wilsons and sutton grammar schools? I imagine the kids who didnt get through got their scores. Can someone be kind enough to let me know please? thanks.

Also, from past experience does anybody know the cutoff for WS and SGS in last few years? Again i think only those who did not make it would know isnt it?
Sorry its my first experience with 11+.....fingers crossed!
Oneoftwothings

Re: Sutton Stage 1 & 2 cutoffs

Post by Oneoftwothings »

I don’t know that information because my son sat the second exam, but I did see this (link below) that indicates a higher standardised pass mark (218.5) for Wallington Boys than previous years (215.5 last year). Also, 1000 boys went through to SGS and Wilsons second stage, which means 22 boys went through to second stage but did not pass for Wallington (978 passed). I would guess then that the cutoff for stage 2 was 216 or 217.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ng-1438116" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oneoftwothings

Post by Oneoftwothings »

Oh, just found this too, in case of interest:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ng-1443533" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So 1001 were sitting for Wilson’s and SGS; another 41 were eligible for SGS only.
Irisa

Post by Irisa »

Oneoftwothings wrote:Oh, just found this too, in case of interest:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ng-1443533" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So 1001 were sitting for Wilson’s and SGS; another 41 were eligible for SGS only.
Thank you for the link, it is really interesting to compare the last years figures and see the trend.

For 2019 start at Wilson's 975 boys sat the second stage, which was shared with Sutton Grammar School. Of these 620 boys have passed the second stage exam for Wilson’s School. The pass mark for Wilson’s School was 480 based on an aggregate of the scores in the Selective Eligibility Test and the two elements of the shared second stage examination.

620 was still a lot compared to the actual number of places at one school or even both schools. And then it was the question of who put which school as their first choice (if any).
dreams

Post by dreams »

Irisa wrote:

Thank you for the link, it is really interesting to compare the last years figures and see the trend.

For 2019 start at Wilson's 975 boys sat the second stage, which was shared with Sutton Grammar School. Of these 620 boys have passed the second stage exam for Wilson’s School. The pass mark for Wilson’s School was 480 based on an aggregate of the scores in the Selective Eligibility Test and the two elements of the shared second stage examination.

620 was still a lot compared to the actual number of places at one school or even both schools. And then it was the question of who put which school as their first choice (if any).
Did school give some sort of indication where about among 620 children your DC was? Thank you
Irisa

Post by Irisa »

dreams wrote:
Did school give some sort of indication where about among 620 children your DC was? Thank you
No, they did not. This is a matter of policy, in order for everyone who has been offered a place to be at the same starting point.

Tiffin used to give the 1 round score, but not the 2nd - they no longer reveal any scores either to those who have passed.
rd2312

Post by rd2312 »

Thanks for this link. Useful information!

I am wondering if they specified in the email sent out for the second stage test invitation what school out of wilsons and sutton grammar the boys were eligible for.
The email i got for my DS stated as below:

"Sutton Grammar School and Wilson's School - <My son's name> met the required standard at the Selective Eligibility Test and will be invited to sit the shared second stage entrance test at Sutton Grammar School or Wilson's School being held on Saturday 5 October 2019."

Does this mean that he is amongst the 1000 who qualified to give second stage for both schools and not just for one of them? Did anybody's email just say that their DS has been invited for second stage just for one of these schools?
Oneoftwothings

Post by Oneoftwothings »

Yes, I saw one forum member mention they only got invited to sit for SGS. This is because SGS take into account if a candidate is from a ‘deprived area’. I believe this put 41 extra boys over the cutoff mark for SGS. Wilson’s don’t apply the IDACI adjustment to scores.
rd2312

Post by rd2312 »

Oneoftwothings wrote:Yes, I saw one forum member mention they only got invited to sit for SGS. This is because SGS take into account if a candidate is from a ‘deprived area’. I believe this put 41 extra boys over the cutoff mark for SGS. Wilson’s don’t apply the IDACI adjustment to scores.
Thank you! Can you past the link to that forum conversation here please. Only if you have the time. I'd appreciate it.
Oneoftwothings

Post by Oneoftwothings »

rd2312 wrote:
Oneoftwothings wrote:Yes, I saw one forum member mention they only got invited to sit for SGS. This is because SGS take into account if a candidate is from a ‘deprived area’. I believe this put 41 extra boys over the cutoff mark for SGS. Wilson’s don’t apply the IDACI adjustment to scores.
Thank you! Can you past the link to that forum conversation here please. Only if you have the time. I'd appreciate it.

Page 4 is where someone mentions the invite to SGS:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 9&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But the IDACI adjustment was mentioned in the freedom of information request link I posted earlier. I didn’t realise it at the time of that post. :)