Wandsworth Test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dinosaur72

Wandsworth Test

Post by dinosaur72 »

Hello - has anyone else been preparing for the Wandsworth test this week? We did some DIY prep at home and DD seems happy, but need some handholding while we wait for results.
Mum_Cam

Re: Wandsworth Test

Post by Mum_Cam »

Yes all ready for tomorrow!
sorryIhaventaclue

Post by sorryIhaventaclue »

Can someone tell me what this is used for and when we get results?
I’m not too clear and our school haven’t really told us the purpose! but DC has taken the test.

Thanks!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Information about the test is here. It's a little odd you haven't been told anything about it.
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

sorryIhaventaclue wrote:Can someone tell me what this is used for and when we get results?
I’m not too clear and our school haven’t really told us the purpose! but DC has taken the test.

Thanks!
I'm not in your area but I understand that in some Wandsworth schools, it is used to determine banding. Some schools allocate places by oversubscription criteria within bands, to try to ensure that there is a fair representation of the various groups within the intake? e.g. if there is a 'gradient' by both income and ability radiating from a school, just admitting by distance would get lots of clever kids, but only from well-off households. Splitting up the population into smaller groups (in this case, by test score), then by distance within each group, means that you get a spread of abilities, because there will be children admitted from each band, and socioeconomic background, and geography (to a certain extent) because the nearest distance from the school within a lower score band will be different from that in the top band etc.

(A very simplistic overview - and looking at the link provided by scary mum), obviously some schools use the score to allocate straightforward ability places :)) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
sorryIhaventaclue

Post by sorryIhaventaclue »

scary mum wrote:Information about the test is here. It's a little odd you haven't been told anything about it.
Not if you knew our school - they are really not good with communication!
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Yes, some schools use it for fair banding, others (I think Graveney, Burntwood and the boys' school whose name escapes me) use it for ability places.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

streathammum wrote:Yes, some schools use it for fair banding, others (I think Graveney, Burntwood and the boys' school whose name escapes me) use it for ability places.
Ernest Bevin College?
Stanton

Post by Stanton »

And I think Ashcroft use only the Non-Verbal paper for banding?

Wandsworth test results due next week - how was it for your kids? For our DC it was as we'd expected, some parts fine, some sections very hard. It appeared to be a vast majority of boys sitting it at the OOC test centre we attended - I found that a bit surprising, or are there more boys schools in Wandsworth?
dinosaur72

Post by dinosaur72 »

Nervously waiting here. Wondering if they will be given the results in school today.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now