Out of Catchment

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
orekan

Out of Catchment

Post by orekan »

We live in Greenwich and have a DS. Which Kent schools accept out of catchment children if they pass the selection test?

Thank you.
Herewego1

Re: Out of Catchment

Post by Herewego1 »

Judd if they score very highly.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Dartford Grammar for boys, too - maybe your best bet if you're in Greenwich?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

St Olaves in Orpington is fairly easy to get to from Greenwich by train (there is also a private coach that serves both Olaves and Newstead that runs from Greenwich to Orpington). I am sure you probably already know but I have seen people get this wrong so I will point out that Olaves is not in Kent - they have their own two stage test.
Seendy1

Post by Seendy1 »

There is also Wilmington grammar - which tends to be quite popular as they have better sport facilities as compared to Dartford Boys.
The main worry with Dartford Boys is that one has to score quite high to get in, and even higher if you are OOC!

Open evenings coming up in the next few days - we will be going to visit them just to get a feel of them. Looking for DD!
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

With Wilmington you have to be inner area or very close though, don't you? Would Greenwich qualify? Orpington doesn't.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Seendy1 wrote:There is also Wilmington grammar - which tends to be quite popular as they have better sport facilities as compared to Dartford Boys.
The main worry with Dartford Boys is that one has to score quite high to get in, and even higher if you are OOC!

Open evenings coming up in the next few days - we will be going to visit them just to get a feel of them. Looking for DD!
They used to have a small number of places for top scorers but this has changed. Now there are about 15 places but only as far out as 5 miles. The majority of places are within 1.5 miles and defined parishes. They also have PP places for those within 3 miles. If you have a DD then Weald has often gone out a long way, but no use for the OPs DS.
orekan

Post by orekan »

Thank you all for your replies. Very helpful.

Waiting anxiously for 4pm 17 October.!!! :?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

orekan wrote:Thank you all for your replies. Very helpful.

Waiting anxiously for 4pm 17 October.!!! :?
Did you not investigate (before registering your DS for the exam) for which, if any, Kent grammar your DS would be likely to qualify, taking their admissions policies into account?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
orekan

Post by orekan »

Thanks for your response ToadMum!

Of course, I have done my research but there seems to have been a lot of changes in Kent school admissions especially in regard to the distance criteria and Kent schools only allocating places within certain parishes.

I was seeking advice from parents who have been in similar positions and have knowledge to pass on.

I always believed the Forum was a place where parents can voice concerns and raise questions freely. Next time I will consider what I post!