Admission to Sutton Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

AS1980

Admission to Sutton Girls

Post by AS1980 »

Hi, My daughter scored 228. Any idea what are the chances of getting admission in Sutton Girls. I know currently it’s hard to say with all the catchment areas.... would appreciate if anyone has any rough idea. Thanks.
JustOutside

Re: Admission to Sutton Girls

Post by JustOutside »

It looks as though 225 was the lowest offered off the waiting list for SCGSG in summer 2019.

There's an expectation that the minimum score offered for the Sutton Coldfield and Walsall grammars will rise because a greater number of out of KE catchment students will choose these schools, but nobody knows how much of an effect it will have on the scores.
piccolino

Post by piccolino »

I thought 221 was the published cut-off on 1st March and by 10th April someone with 219 had been offered.
piccolino

Post by piccolino »

Just checked the e-mail again that came with the results:

"Sutton Coldfield Grammar School for Girls

A score of 221 or above was required for an offer of a place at Sutton Coldfield Grammar School for Girls for the 2019 intake (218 for 2018 and 217 for the 2017 intake). 2020 entry is the first intake that the school has set aside places (36 of the 180 available) for Pupil Premium applicants; this may result in a higher score being required for entry than in previous years and you should use the above information to assess the likelihood of your child being offered a place, based on their test score, before applying for a place. The score of the last child to be offered a place for 2020 intake will not be known until 1 March 2020 when places are offered."
piccolino

Post by piccolino »

Sorry, just realised that probably doesn't help as I've just stated what you already know.

Here is my take on it but I agree that we don't really know what will happen.

Currently, the stats show that Sutton Girls has 7% on Pupil Premium.

So, that is around 12-13 pupils in each intake of 180.

They have reserved 36 spaces this year so that reduces the intake for non PP by about 23 places which would indicate that the cut-off score will go up.

However, the birth rate was very high last year so if the rules hadn't changed, the cut-off would have gone down from the 221 that was in place last year so could it stay the same?!?

Then there are the new catchment areas - concern is that OOC for KE will now be looking at Sutton Schools instead so applications go up.

However, there should also be a reduction in applications from Birmingham residents who are close to the grammar schools and have 222 or above so does that end up being neutral?!

Going round in circles but it is just so hard to predict where we will be in March and these are the debates that I am having in my head! I would have thought 228 would be fine to get in.

Are you in the catchment for Handsworth?
AS1980

Post by AS1980 »

Thank you for your replies. No I don’t live in catchment for any of KE schools. Can only hope for the best. Let’s see what happens in March.
piccolino

Post by piccolino »

Good Luck!

My daughter got 219 and we are a mile away from Sutton Girls - I've been trying to manage her expectations (she has friends who got in with that score previously) as there is a chance she could get in but unlikely that she'll be offered a place immediately. (Whilst also making sure she know how proud we are of how well she has done!). It certainly feels like a long time to wait until we know one way or another.
PollyKK

Post by PollyKK »

My daughter got 219 as well, and she's worked really hard! We always say how proud we are what she has achieved. We are well over a mile from the school, still in Sutton. Still don't know what are the chances of getting a place at SG. Otherwise if she's not offered a place at SG, would she be offered place at the local school (we're in a catchment).
Still trying to gather information how to apply, is it worth putting SG as a first choice or not? If she's not offered SG would her second choice of local school became the first?
Confusing!
piccolino wrote:Good Luck!

My daughter got 219 and we are a mile away from Sutton Girls - I've been trying to manage her expectations (she has friends who got in with that score previously) as there is a chance she could get in but unlikely that she'll be offered a place immediately. (Whilst also making sure she know how proud we are of how well she has done!). It certainly feels like a long time to wait until we know one way or another.
Wildfuture

Post by Wildfuture »

You put the schools on your CAF in the order that you want them. There are so many posts on this forum confirming that, in addition to information on your council's website and in the results letter.

If you put your local comp first and SG second, you will likely get your local comp according to your post and will never be considered for SG as you have effectively told your council that's the school you prefer.
PollyKK

Post by PollyKK »

We would still like to put SG as a first choice, just wondering if the place is not offered at SG, would the second choice, a place at local school be offered. The local school has a small catchment and we don't want to jeopardise the chances of getting to any of the choices.
Just wandering if its “safe” not to put SG as first choice at all? Not sure how to search for a relevant post if this was discussed already, I’m sure it was. Perhaps you could provide a link?
We’re still hoping for the place at SG.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now