CRGS results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lancashire & Cumbria

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

EagerMummy

CRGS results

Post by EagerMummy »

Hi, my DS took the 11+ for CRGS the other weekend. I was just wondering if the results letter will only confirm if he has passed or if it will also confirm if he has a place, does anyone know?

CRGS is the only school he has taken the test for and we know it is a long shot as we are OOC, we are looking at other schools in out area however I just want to know if that come results day we know if he has a place if passed or if we will need to wait until March 2020.

Many thanks in advance.
hermanmunster

Re: CRGS results

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi and welcome
unfortunately all you get at this stage is info about whether they have passed / scores etc, the actual application doesn't happen until the end of this month (make sure you complete it!) and then the places are allocated in Match next year. It is only after the applications are submitted that they know how many children who qualified have actually applied to the school.
EagerMummy

Post by EagerMummy »

Thanks for your response. much appreciated!
Mumski

Post by Mumski »

EagerMummy
I believe its a bit different in Lancashire and CRGS is like LRGS. The letter will confirm that whether or not he will definitely be offered a place if he has passed. There will be waiting list positions who will have passed but not scored high enough for an OOA place and those children may or may not be offered a place on 1 March depending on how many children with a definite place actually applied.

There is a previous discussion on this topic which is relevant to LRGS and CRGS here here
Mumski

Post by Mumski »

The letters have been worded as follows in the past although this is of course no guarantee that they won't change the wording this time.

I am pleased to inform you that he reached the required standard in the tests and, in accordance with Lancashire County Council’s Co-ordinated Admissions Scheme, we have informed the Local Education Authority (LEA) that we are willing to accept him as a day pupil at LRGS from September 2019. We understand that the LEA will allocate him a place here if your Common Application Form states that you have put LRGS as your first preference.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Cheers mumski! Back of my mind I was remembering that there was one school that was ever so slightly misbehaving in regards to the admissions code - are they able to offer for some OOA as well? Suppose they will know how many in area have reached the passmark
Mumski

Post by Mumski »

It is a bit odd isn't it hermanmunster. Yes they do send the same letter to OOA applicants on results day. My own personal opinion is that each year approx 100 offers are made to those who passed within the inner area leaving about 50 places for OOA which go to the top 50 scores. Those below the top 50 are placed on the waiting list and told their position. I understand that waiting list places can be offered up to Xmas even after the year has started if some people don't turn up or leave in the first term.

I think it works as there are very few grammar schools in Lancashire and the system is such that you can only apply to one of them, mainly due to geography but also due to the fact that they tend to have their 11+ on the same day.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think it is related to the size of the schools and the often smaller numbers in catchment, and yes they are rarely going to be applying to more than one GS. It just causes confusion as parents think that it is a guarantee of a place and might not actually apply
EagerMummy

Post by EagerMummy »

Thanks for your replies! going off the comments, this time next week I will be able to make an informed decision on whether or not CRGS needs to be added to the application as 1 preference, as obvs if he doesn't pass I will not be applying, and if he does pass then whether a place is given or he is on waiting list we will add it as 1st.

many thanks for you help.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

EagerMummy wrote:Thanks for your replies! going off the comments, this time next week I will be able to make an informed decision on whether or not CRGS needs to be added to the application as 1 preference, as obvs if he doesn't pass I will not be applying, and if he does pass then whether a place is given or he is on waiting list we will add it as 1st.

many thanks for you help.
Sounds like if he passes and you like the school then worth putting it on the form, just check travel though if you are looking at a long journey
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now