UCAT test

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
skipsmash

UCAT test

Post by skipsmash »

My daughter took this exam yesterday, she scored 2720/average 680, but only got band 3 for the situation judgement test.

I don't know if this will be a problem - band 3 isn't great.

She wants to apply to Sheffield, Bristol, Cardiff and Manchester.

Any advice? They say they don't take the situational judgement results into account ... apart from Sheffield who say they do, at the interview - if you get one.

This is a stressful time - her score is ok I think.

Help!
HappyCow

Re: UCAT test

Post by HappyCow »

UCAT Test statistics were released yesterday, they can be found on the attached link:

https://www.ucat.ac.uk/media/1329/2019- ... t-2019.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have a look at each University's cut off UCAT scores for last year - it will give an indication for this year.
Medic Portal site gives detailed information about University admission's criteria ( wise to doublecheck with the Uni you are interested in).
It is time well spent looking at this.

Choose 4 medical schools based on your DD's strengths. Universities use UCAT score as their initial criteria to invite for interview including meeting predicted grades.
Good Luck.
skipsmash

Post by skipsmash »

Thanks, HappyCow.

My daughter has looked at the results, but is stubborn and hasn't really applied strategically in my opinion.

She was only predicted AAB which ruled out her initial choices. Her school have refused point blank to increase the B, saying they predicted too highly last year, and they aren't increasing the grade for any girl. It seems very unfair because she has had some A grades throughout the year (just not in her exam, and not consistently).

She was gutted - although there are universities which accept AAB for medicine.

However, school suggested she apply with Disrupted Studies. She was ill during mocks, and went to the doctor. She has diabetes and whenever she is unwell, it hits her hard. I am not sure about this, but school suggested it, so I've gone with it.

Assuming her Disrupted Studies are accepted, she's applied to a university she is very unlikely to get in to (Bristol), one she really liked (Sheffield), one she knows offer AAB for Disrupted Studies (Liverpool) and Birmingham (who've lowered their entry requirements this year to AAB anyway). Her UCAT score should be ok for Sheffield and Liverpool. I don't know about Bristol.

It feels like the 11+ again!

Her UCAT score is quite good - I think - everyone in the Student Forum seems to have much higher scores - I can't believe that over 29,000 students took the UCAT.

I just hope she gets interviews with predicted grades AAB. It's been a very stressful time.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Birmingham have lowered to AAA this year, from A*AA last year - unless you are in a widening participation school?

Has she looked at places like Leicester or UEA as they are a lot more forgiving - although I still think their offers are AAA.

She may find her predicted grades are the biggest hurdle - her UKCAT score is ok (although there will be those with well over 700) the sjt isnt Brilliant but will only really come into play if they are deciding between groups of people who they rank the same, before inviting to interview. She may need to revisit things about the NHS, the role of doctor’s etc if she does get interview invites as, with sjt band 3, they won’t give her much leeway if she doesn’t perform strongly on them in MMI interviews.

She needs to remember that the vast majority of would be medics do not get inthe first time they apply though. She only needs one offer - and to meet the terms of it though. But, strategic applications are critical. If she does not meet the minimum requirement, don’t bother applying. If she is close to the minimum requirement (as in above it but only just) then she probably shouldnt apply. Remember, the minimum requirements are just that - the absolute minimum at which they will consider - they all run on a top down approach to interview invitations and then offers.
skipsmash

Post by skipsmash »

kcg, I agree. But she's submitted her application. She would not listen to advice.

She's at a gs, I don't think it's a widening participation school.

UCLAN and Kent accept AAB, I think Aston do.

She's got a copy of the letter from the doctor and filled in her own form, her reference (sixth form person) has completed the same.

My husband thinks she'll never get through an interview. I honestly think a gap year would be best. She's very stubborn.

But too late to change now! Thanks for the advice - might need it in a year.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Did she attend a non GS (state comprehensive) secondary, before 6th form? If she did, then she may well be classed as at a widening participation school (for GCSEs), in which case Birmingham standard offer would be AAB, otherwise it is now AAA.

MMI interviews are really tough, so get her to prepare for them as best she can. Some GS run versions of these for their students - ours didn't! DS1 did a lot of reading, and it paid off! Most of the unis give you your individual ranking of all the students interviewed after the interviews (although you can kind of tell how well you did as they tend to make offers top down, so if your child gets an email within the first half an hour of the first person saying "I got an offer", you know they scored well!), so it helps if you have other interviews lined up to look at which stations you need to improve on - also seful if she has to reapply.

Good luck to her - it is tough - and definitely not for the faint hearted applicant - or for anyone who doesn't deal with rejection well - mainly these are all very, very academically able applicants who are not used to "failing".
skipsmash

Post by skipsmash »

Thanks for your advice and support, keg.

But to answer your question, she's been at a gs since year 7 so no, she's not a widening participation school.

I've checked, Birmingham definitely want predicted grades of AAB for 2020 entry. They want AAA results, though. But that is what she is hoping for.

I don't think she'll survive an interview if she gets one, but it would be good experience. I've no idea if school help, I doubt it. It would be helpful if they did! But I'll pass on your message about reading - all the universities recommended it, I don't know if she is reading anything. I didn't know you had a ds who is doing medicine! What year is he in, what uni? Is he enjoying it?

She knows she's not a top student. Far from it. But she's wanted to do medicine for years, has good work experience, and is working hard. I bet most applicants have higher predicted grades, ucat scores, and great work experience.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Yes, DS1 is first year Medic at Birmingham, which was his first choice uni! He is loving it so far....!
Stokers

Post by Stokers »

Hi, KCG
You mentioned your DC did lots of reading - was there anything specific they would recommend? DS's Med School contact at college has recommended a few things but I'd be interested in finding out about any/all options. He's regaling us with information from The Emperor of all Maladies at the moment - is that the sort of thing you're talking about?
Birmingham is DS's first choice, followed by Manchester and he's been watching videos on YouTube to start his prep for the MMIs. They look so daunting!
Thanks for any advice,
Stokers
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Have pmd you - on phone away from home currently but if I think of anything else will let you know.