Chis and Sid opinions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Minimum79

Chis and Sid opinions

Post by Minimum79 »

Hi All, Just wondering if parents who have children at C&S would mind sharing their thoughts and opinions about the school.

My DS would be travelling in from Bromley. He’s quite shy and not big on Rugby.

What was it about the school that made you pick it. We have been to open days but I’m just wondering how he would settle in as chances are he won’t know anyone else there.

Did you consider Beths over C&S?

Really appreciate you taking the time to give your opinions, thank you. X
PettswoodFiona

Re: Chis and Sid opinions

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Last year was a bit of an outlier in Chis n Sid reaching far out so do bear in mind it may not do so again. A friend’s DC loves the school but finds the traffic horrific and they now get a train and change rather than miss several buses. A friend’s DD likes the school enough to to stay in for sixth form which I think is a good recommendation.

I don’t know much about Beth’s as it is a boys only school, this is an obvious difference to C&S.
Fingerscrossedmum

Post by Fingerscrossedmum »

We also live in Bromley and both my boys are at Beths and both are very happy (Yr 12 and 8 ).

It wasn't that we didn't like C&S, more that they both loved Beths when we looked around and said it felt like it "fitted" them. When my husband and I went there, we could see our boys there if that makes sense.

Beths have an Open Morning tomorrow if you haven't had a chance to look around yet.

The bus journey is a little further then Sidcup but it seems to be a very social event and both mine made great friends who live locally.

Happy to answer any questions. Good luck in your choice.
Mich895

Post by Mich895 »

Hi, my DD is at C&S and has just stayed on for 6th form. She was the only child to go from her school in year 7 but made a friend on induction day who remained her best friend throughout. She has a wide circle of friends now and it has been the right school for her. I obviously cannot comment on Beths but we looked around Bexley and Townley and, although Bexley is our nearest school, we all felt that C&S was the school for my DD. You do need to consider the journey, my DD's is straight forward on the 51 bus, as form time starts at 8.15 which I think is earlier than most. They have their first proper open morning this morning followed by another one on Monday 14th and the open evening on Wednesday 16th if you want another look.
Hopeful123***

Post by Hopeful123*** »

My DS started C&S this September so is only a few weeks in. He’s loving the school, he settled in almost immediately. He’s made lots of new friends and he just seems really happy. They are working them hard but he seems unfazed by it all and he’s really enjoying the rugby.

We did look at Beths, in fact it’s closer to us, but firstly (and more importantly) my son had his heart set on C&S and secondly as parents we just felt that C&S was a much better fit for him and I think seeing how things have gone so far, we’ve definitely made the right choice.

Both good, but very different schools, I’d go by gut reaction and what feels right.
Miss Shortlands

Post by Miss Shortlands »

My daughter started at C&S this year. She absolutely loves it and has settled in really well. We live in Bromley, and the journey is tough (she gets the 7.01 bus from Bromley North every morning- any later she is worried she won’t get on a bus!). But she doesn’t seem to mind as she loves catching up with her friends on the bus!
Minimum79

Post by Minimum79 »

Thank you everyone. I went to visit Beths again today, and husband is going to C&S again tomorrow.

Both have elements that we like, but I think the distance to travel to Beths is playing on my mind. They did mention a coach from Orpington but Im not sure if this will help the Bromley children.

I think C&S may pip Beths based on travel, but if anyone has any other Thoughts around both schools, I’d love to hear them. Xx
phina1

Post by phina1 »

My son is at C&S and isn't particularly sporty. Whilst he didn't particularly enjoy the after school rugby in year 7, this was only for one term and they all get through it! There are stacks of clubs & activities on offer to cater for all different interests. My son frequently plays chess at lunchtimes and has been to STEM and science clubs as that's where his interests lie. He's enjoyed his time at the school so far and I don't think he suffers in any way from being not sporty.

He was also the only boy from his primary school to go to the school. There are quite a lot of kids in the same boat of being either the only one or one of 2-3 from the same primary school. They tend to spread out the kids from the same primary schools anyway, so even if there are 6 or 7 from a school, they'll be plenty of kids in each form that don't know anyone in the form already. They do pretty much everything in Year 7 in their form groups with some mixing for Tech and PE only iirc.

We viewed Beths but none of us particularly liked it so it went much lower on the form (below a couple of comps), C&S was our first choice by far.
padroeiro

Post by padroeiro »

phina1 wrote:We viewed Beths but none of us particularly liked it so it went much lower on the form (below a couple of comps), C&S was our first choice by far.
Can you tell if there was anything in particular you disliked about Beths?
We've seen both last week and for some reason our son wasn't impressed with C&S, although it's much closer.
My first impression was that aside of one being mixed and another boys only - they were somewhat similar. Still undecided :)
Minimum79

Post by Minimum79 »

phina1 wrote:My son is at C&S and isn't particularly sporty. Whilst he didn't particularly enjoy the after school rugby in year 7, this was only for one term and they all get through it! There are stacks of clubs & activities on offer to cater for all different interests. My son frequently plays chess at lunchtimes and has been to STEM and science clubs as that's where his interests lie. He's enjoyed his time at the school so far and I don't think he suffers in any way from being not sporty.

He was also the only boy from his primary school to go to the school. There are quite a lot of kids in the same boat of being either the only one or one of 2-3 from the same primary school. They tend to spread out the kids from the same primary schools anyway, so even if there are 6 or 7 from a school, they'll be plenty of kids in each form that don't know anyone in the form already. They do pretty much everything in Year 7 in their form groups with some mixing for Tech and PE only iirc.

We viewed Beths but none of us particularly liked it so it went much lower on the form (below a couple of comps), C&S was our first choice by far.

Thank you this is really helpful. I went to see Beths and I wasn’t blown away by it either. Thanks again
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now