Coaches travel options to grammar schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sa4ia

Coaches travel options to grammar schools

Post by Sa4ia »

Hi

I was wondering which coaches go from dagenham east to bexley, Kent, westcliffe?
Sorrel

Re: Coaches travel options to grammar schools

Post by Sorrel »

Do you mean coaches organised by the school or parents, not public transport? My guess is there won't be any for Kent or Bexley, because only a few places are available for high scorers rather than on distance, and many/most of those will come from areas which are out of county but still a reasonable journey by public transport.

Do check with individual schools though - eg there are coaches to the Dartford Grammars from Bromley/ Orpington etc and you can see the routes on their websites.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Sa4ia wrote:Hi

I was wondering which coaches go from dagenham east to bexley, Kent, westcliffe?
Hi :)

It's very unlikely that a Bexley / Kent / Bromley parent will have any idea about travel fro Dagenham to Westcliff (no 'e' on the end, btw, assuming that you mean either WHSG or WHSB in Westcliff on Sea - geographically more Leigh on Sea, really), so you might have better luck posting in 'Essex' for that one? We are actually local to WHSG and WHSG (although our DC preferred SHSB and SHSG, a couple of miles further away), so I'm afraid I have no idea about private hire type transport, either, as we have never had any need of it.

However, if you are near the tube station, District line to Upminster, then train to Chalkwell is one way of doing it, but if you have a DD, the walk from Southend East (7 minutes further down the line) is 10 minutes shorter and a lot flatter than the walk from Chalkwell to the Westcliff schools.

If you are trying to decide which exams it is reasonable for your your DC to take next September, why not try out the train journey when you come down to the open evenings next June / July? (I am assuming that you are looking at 2021 entry and haven't actually had your DC sit exams for next year without investigating the feasibility of taking up a place beforehand?).

Have you tried putting 'distance <home postcode> to <specific school postcode>' into a google search, for each of the schools at which (from their published admissions criteria) your DC has a possibility of gaining a place from your current address?

(x-posted with Sorrel :) ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Sa4ia

Post by Sa4ia »

Thanks for your replies.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

That distance you’d probably have to be in the top 180 to have a chance of entrance, but you never know, sometimes one or other of the grammars will go to l offered.

This excellent FAQ is highly relevant

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... =9&t=56410" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now