Advice: best travel options from Chelmsford to Colchester

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
zanymum

Advice: best travel options from Chelmsford to Colchester

Post by zanymum »

DS getting either 07:52 / 08:02 / 08:12 train from Chelmsford to Colchester North, then long walk to CRGS. Buses to and from Colchester North don't seem to run to timetable hence walking. This is really going to suck when weather gets bad. What do Chelmsford commuters recommend? Get off at Marks Tey and bus to CRGS? Is this reliable/most popular option? What about return journey? Or do we give up on train and try and get on one of the Consortium buses? Might be a problem getting DS up in time for this option. Anyone organised private shared taxis/mini buses from Chelmsford going straight to Lexden Rd without all the stops in-between ....?
ToadMum

Re: Advice: best travel options from Chelmsford to Colcheste

Post by ToadMum »

zanymum wrote:DS getting either 07:52 / 08:02 / 08:12 train from Chelmsford to Colchester North, then long walk to CRGS. Buses to and from Colchester North don't seem to run to timetable hence walking. This is really going to suck when weather gets bad. What do Chelmsford commuters recommend? Get off at Marks Tey and bus to CRGS? Is this reliable/most popular option? What about return journey? Or do we give up on train and try and get on one of the Consortium buses? Might be a problem getting DS up in time for this option. Anyone organised private shared taxis/mini buses from Chelmsford going straight to Lexden Rd without all the stops in-between ....?
Apologies, but if you live in Chelmsford, is there a particular reason to send your DS to CRGS, rather than to KEGS?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
clairew

Post by clairew »

Yes, why not KEGS? My son is is year 7 this year and is doing great. It’s a fantastic school!
zanymum

Post by zanymum »

In response to ToadMum and clairew: DS doing certain combo of subjects in sixth form and wasn't offered a place at KEGs sixth form. KEGs would have been a no brainer.
KB

Post by KB »

Most of DCs' Chelmsford friends did get the bus - but public not Consortium.
Guess it depends exactly where you live.
Getting bus from Marks Tey will have same problem as from North Station. He needs to get to either station earlier to avoid bad traffic.
I think he has the choice between a walk or getting up earlier!

My DSs had early birthdays so learned to drive sharpish!
practisehard

Post by practisehard »

My elder DS takes train to Colchester North and then bus to town centre. Walk from there to school is lot shorter. There are frequent buses between station and town.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

zanymum wrote:In response to ToadMum and clairew: DS doing certain combo of subjects in sixth form and wasn't offered a place at KEGs sixth form. KEGs would have been a no brainer.
Ah ,- the mist clears, so to speak :).

(You didn't say for sixth form in your first post :) ).

Does the 71 - is there a 71X? - go anywhere near CRGS? I can imagine that it takes ages, though.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
KB

Post by KB »

The 71 does go down Lexden Road, past CRGS and it had/has various iterations ( including 'X' I believe).
T0tleybrook

Post by T0tleybrook »

Recommend him to stop off at Colchester Town. Shorter walk and more buses from the bus station there. Get the PlusBus addon, which will allow you access to almost all the bus companies in Colchester.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now