CRGS results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lancashire & Cumbria

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SusieSheep

Re: CRGS results

Post by SusieSheep »

CRGS results will be out tomorrow Saturday by post.
Letter usually states if child has or has not reached the required pass mark and offering a place. Good luck to all those waiting.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

SusieSheep wrote:CRGS results will be out tomorrow Saturday by post.
Letter usually states if child has or has not reached the required pass mark and offering a place. Good luck to all those waiting.
I do hope that that is not exactly what the school says, because really, it should not be offering a place at this stage. Or at all, if it has any desire to comply with the relevant legislation :shock: . I know that some schools have really, really struggled with the concept of the Admissions Code applying to them, but it really, really, does. And is very clear that offers of places must only be made to the applicant (which none of your DC is, at this stage in the process) on National Offer Day, via his / her home Local Authority.

Fair enough, that if you are in an area where the pressure on places is relatively low and you can more or less tell from score or rank that a place is secured, but the school is in breach of the code if it actually says, This is an offer of a place.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
genericusername

Post by genericusername »

A friend of ours got her letter this morning saying she passed but is fairly low down the waiting list. We are away for the weekend so won’t be home until tomorrow evening :cry:
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Your friend is mistaken, I’m afraid. Currently she is not on any waiting list, low or not. Waiting lists only come into play once applications to schools have been made and offers subsequently made in March. Then waiting lists occur.

Your friend may have passed but have a low ranking however.
genericusername

Hi, well I’ve seen her letter and it says that she is number XX (not going to share as that’s not fair) on the reserve list but that only 6 were offered places from the reserve list last year. ‘Reserve list’ is the actual term used so it seemed pretty clear to me?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Fair enough, Lancashire still flouting the rules and regs they agreed to :lol: :lol:
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Don’t be offended. The admissions process follows legal guidelines where some words have precise meanings and an accompanying set of procedures.

It sounds like the school have given a ranking which indicates those who stand a good chance from those who are less likely with their reserve list.

Technically the waiting list can only be complied after applications have been made. Sitting the test is not the same as applying to the school. It may seem pedantic but it can be an important distinction.
Mumski

Post by Mumski »

Mitasol - i think you are right here in that they do sail a bit close to the wind and rely on precise meanings. Sitting the test is a precursor to the application made to the LEA.

However the acceptance letter (see example further up the thread) does not give a ranking which indicates a good chance of success, in fact for those who qualify for a place ranking is specifically not given. The letter actually states that if you have reached the required standard you will be offered a place if you apply. Those on the reserve list will have to wait until March to see how many who qualified for a place did not apply and any left over places go to those on the reserve list in score order (obviously provided they applied and did not put a school they were likely to be accepted into higher up the list of preferences). Hence it does operate like a "waiting list" which I agree is technically not in existence until after 1 March, however, locally and particularly amongst applicants it is often just referred to as the waiting list.
genericusername

EagerMummy wrote:Thanks for your replies! going off the comments, this time next week I will be able to make an informed decision on whether or not CRGS needs to be added to the application as 1 preference, as obvs if he doesn't pass I will not be applying, and if he does pass then whether a place is given or he is on waiting list we will add it as 1st.

many thanks for you help.

Hi EagerMummy - did you get your letter at the weekend. My DS got in! We were in shock because I don't think anyone from our neck of the woods has got in for as long as we can remember (we are not far outside the edge of the catchment but we are miles away from school as the crow flies). Hope you got good news too?
Daviessar

Post by Daviessar »

Last year the results seemed to be in 3 categories
1. If you place as first choice you have a place
2. If you place as first choice you will be entered on a waiting list (and waiting list place number can be obtained)
3. You did not secure a pass mark.

We were out of area and secured a direct place, but chose another school for convenience in the end, and I think quite a lot of that happens. One issue is that as all in-area children who pass are generally offered a place, all of the waiting list places then go to out of area, as the pass mark is set firmly each year, and not negotiable.