Qualified but with high ranking

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Lil’Red

Qualified but with high ranking

Post by Lil’Red »

Hello. My DC has met the qualifying standard for 2 of the grammar schools but is ranked really high. Does anyone know why they send out a good result if it looks like they won't actually get offered a place? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Mumto3Girls

Re: Qualified but with high ranking

Post by Mumto3Girls »

Need more detail to help. What rankings and for where?
Lil’Red

Post by Lil’Red »

He scored 411 for Marling and 842 for The Crypt.
Phoenix-Mum

Post by Phoenix-Mum »

They have to qualify enough pupils to not risk being under PAN on allocation day, Crypt made that mistake before, only qualifying up to 600's and had to extend that to 800's and appeals
The rank that they go down to changes year on year so they have to be slightly over generous with qualify.

842 would have been close last year for Crypt
Lil’Red

Post by Lil’Red »

I know. It's very wrenching knowing a placement for him is a close but yet so far... :(
If they know there isn't really a chance....
Legofan

Post by Legofan »

But the point is they don’t know how many of the 850 ranked will choose crypt on their CAF. Of the 850 I would say at least 100 will choose pates, 130 tommies, 130 DRHS, 130 Marling, 130 SHS so that’s 650 already, if you say 50 choose Ribston you start to wonder if they have ranked enough this year?

I think you DS has a reasonable chance, maybe not 50/50 but pretty close.
Lil’Red

Post by Lil’Red »

That makes sense. So fingers crossed! Let’s hope for the best. D :?
jearund

Post by jearund »

Lil’Red wrote:That makes sense. So fingers crossed! Let’s hope for the best. D :?
And it's not all over on March 2. You can ask for reconsideration and go on the waiting list, which will start to move after the appeals. So even if they don't go down to 842 on Allocation Day, her may still eventually get a place.
Mamaofthree

Post by Mamaofthree »

My DS is ranked 850! So I know the feeling, we are still hopeful though but looking at the local comps to decide order to put on CAF (after Crypt). We do have extenuating circumstances to appeal although I’ve heard that’s a tough process so I’m not keen to go down that road unless we feel strongly about it!
jearund

Post by jearund »

Mamaofthree wrote:My DS is ranked 850! So I know the feeling, we are still hopeful though but looking at the local comps to decide order to put on CAF (after Crypt). We do have extenuating circumstances to appeal although I’ve heard that’s a tough process so I’m not keen to go down that road unless we feel strongly about it!
Mamaofthree, if you have extenuating circumstances I would seriously consider appealing if you don't get a place. You've nothing to lose.

Having said that, it is stressful - mainly because of the uncertainty for the child of not knowing which school they will go to when everyone else does. I helped a friend appeal to Crypt 2 years ago so I know what it's like. They are looking for 3 things:

1) Strong academic evidence that your child will cope in a grammar school. Letters from the head and teachers, school reports from the last couple of years showing your child performing at Greater Depth across all areas, anything else you have (maybe predicted SATs scores?). That is the most important thing.

2) A good reason which explains why your child didn't perform better in the exam. This is where you need to explain those extenuating circumstances and the effect they had on your child. The panel needs to be convinced that this is not your child's normal performance - it's all about convincing them that your child will not struggle at a grammar school.

3) Why the particular school is the only one that is right for your child. Does it offer something the others don't? They will also want to know what school you have currently accepted. Just saying you want them to go a grammar school is not enough - you need to explain what it is about Crypt in particular that you want.

If you decide to appeal, there is a lot of advice on this forum and others can tell you more than I can. If you and your child are happy with the local comp then maybe it's not worth it. But if he really wanted Crypt, and you can give good answers to all of the above, go for it (and good luck!)