KS2 SATS 2020 prep

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Fishface101

KS2 SATS 2020 prep

Post by Fishface101 »

Hello what preparation are people doing for SATS this year? Would welcome knowing how others approaching this?

Also If your dc just did 11+, are you still going to do any prep for SATS or was 11+ Enough preparation?

After searching through that amazonian retail facility for Sats prep books I settled on a brand which had a set of workbook and skills tests for each of reading, grammar etc and maths “for children working at greater depth”. I am hoping this will give early indication / confirmation of ds level.

11+ was an indication but as different format for Sats, thought we ought to confirm ok with SATS format.

Would like to hear from other dps re any prep they are doing?

Thanks
kenyancowgirl

Re: KS2 SATS 2020 prep

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I would do absolutely none.

SATs are a school measure, not your child’s. The school will do mire than enough prep - almost to the point of creating mental health issues for the poor children as they start to feel the pressure, which they shouldn’t.

They will need space and time at home to just be kids.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

kenyancowgirl wrote:I would do absolutely none.

SATs are a school measure, not your child’s. The school will do mire than enough prep - almost to the point of creating mental health issues for the poor children as they start to feel the pressure, which they shouldn’t.

They will need space and time at home to just be kids.
I agree - DD didn't do them and DS didn't know he was doing them, really made no difference
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

As KCG said, the school will do plenty. You don’t need to add to it.
Nella

Post by Nella »

Agree with previous posters; DC’s school seems to spend the majority of year 6 (before Sats) preparing for the SATs. So much so that eldest DC, who loved school, started to dislike going in. Fortunately as soon as the SATs were over the fun began!

His secondary school tested them all again as soon as he started year 7... apparently they don’t trust the primary school results :roll:

Have told DC 2 not to worry about the SATs at all. I think the less pressure and stress at this age the better!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Exactly what has been said above!
I worked with year 6 for years, the school will be doing plenty of revision and preparation, whether it is obvious or not.

Just do any homework set but otherwise let it go!
Fishface101

Post by Fishface101 »

Thank you for your comments although I don’t agree with any of them. But interesting nonetheless.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Which is funny because half of the people who have posted work in primary schools, (as well as being parents....)
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

11 plus is a complete superset of SATS so there really would be no need to do any prep work.

Have you looked at the SATS past papers so you can see the level? DG
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

We did none as the school did plenty nearer the time.

I wanted my children to have a break after the 11 plus and to really enjoy their final year in primary (plus I knew the school would focus on SATs).

The SATs are different to the 11 plus.

The results were used to set in comp, but the results are not always an accurate performance measure or 'leveller' when setting due to several factors and I know not all comps use them.