SHS & HSFG ranking

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Lulusfd31

SHS & HSFG ranking

Post by Lulusfd31 »

Hi,

My daughter qualified for SHS and HSFG with rankings between 210 and 215 for both. We didn’t share with Ribston or Crypt (due to logistics) and she didn’t qualify for Pates. We are obviously pleased with these scores and are so proud of her.

My question is whether these are enough and looking at last years rankings, it appears as though they would be comfortably, but I am a little concerned about the popularity of SHS - this is her favourite - and whether her ranking will be enough......?

After the initial euphoria has worn off, the doubts are sadly setting in and I would hate for her to get her hopes up and then get quashed on results day.

Your reassurance and / or practical advice would be hugely appreciated.
Griff1

Re: SHS & HSFG ranking

Post by Griff1 »

Looking at the previous years, both are very possible. If you simply assume 50% of the cohort of each share to both schools, being within 225 will mean there is going to be space at one of them for your DD, without accounting for The other Grammars that girls can go to. I would suggest putting one 1st & the other 2nd & expect to get one of them. It would be worth putting your favourite comp 3rd as a catch all.
Congratulations to your DD! Xx
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

We have similar ranks to you and our ranks would imply most people shared across all three girls schools as they are very similar. We are confident we will get our first or second choice. We definitely won't be choosing Stroud or DR if that helps.
cheltdad

Post by cheltdad »

Brackenboo wrote:We have similar ranks to you and our ranks would imply most people shared across all three girls schools as they are very similar. We are confident we will get our first or second choice. We definitely won't be choosing Stroud or DR if that helps.
We've also seen a close match between DDs ranking for the three girls schools - so there's an awful lot that have shared across all of them (and probably Crypt and Pates as well), and since no-one can go to two schools by the time those DDs have been spread across the schools that sort of ranking would definitely imply a definite place at one, and very probably either (i.e by the time you allocate all the places to those above you to one school or the other - even though each will have some unique entries - you'd probably be above the 150 line for both). The only issue being if for some edge case reason enough above you all opted for one and not the other - meaning you can't be 100% sure which.

So - my thoughts would be (which is essentially what we are going to do) is list them on the CAF in the order that your DD really would prefer them, with any spare slots used for the comps you would be happy with (not that they should come into play).
Lulusfd31

Post by Lulusfd31 »

Thank you, everyone. It is something we thought and in doing the maths, seems logical that she should get her preferred school. We shall certainly complete the CAF to that effect with HSFG and our local comp as second and third choice. Yet another wait until March! Well done to all children who have qualified!
Tom77

Post by Tom77 »

Lulusfd31 wrote:Hi,

My daughter qualified for SHS and HSFG with rankings between 210 and 215 for both. We didn’t share with Ribston or Crypt (due to logistics) and she didn’t qualify for Pates. We are obviously pleased with these scores and are so proud of her.

My question is whether these are enough and looking at last years rankings, it appears as though they would be comfortably, but I am a little concerned about the popularity of SHS - this is her favourite - and whether her ranking will be enough......?

After the initial euphoria has worn off, the doubts are sadly setting in and I would hate for her to get her hopes up and then get quashed on results day.

Your reassurance and / or practical advice would be hugely appreciated.
Congratulations,she should get in both schools based on last years data, so kindly keep her preferred school as 1st choice,
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now