Moving house

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Klou

Moving house

Post by Klou »

Hi! New to the forum so please excuse any lack of Forum etiquette in my post.

My kiddo sat for the 11+ in Warwickshire this year but we’ve now discovered we are going to have to move to either Oxfordshire or Gloucestershire with my husbands job (which isn’t at all causing me anxiety over applying for a secondary school :? ). We obviously don’t have his results yet but if he’s done enough to gain a place we’d still like him to attend a Grammar School.

I understand the Gloucester schools also sit the CEM paper so I was wondering if anyone knows if we could apply for a place there and if his results from here would be transferable?

Thanks in advance
Tinkers

Re: Moving house

Post by Tinkers »

Results are not transferable from region to region unfortunately.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I very much doubt they would be transferable but you should ring the LA to confirm. You can also get more advice on your situation as the deadline is looming.
Xposted with Tinkers
KenR

Post by KenR »

In Birmingham (and Warks) you can sit a late test if you move into the region - I suspect the same applies to other regions
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

If it's the same test already sat I would have thought that wouldn't be possible.
scary mum
Glos18

Post by Glos18 »

I am in Gloucestershire. We have a late test in March which he will be able to sit, and he will then be slotted in on the waiting list according to his rank. If he has a high score ie would have qualified if he had sat in September, then he will have a good chance of getting a place as there is always movement.
Some regions have the same CEM test. I have no idea which they are. In that situation, you are only allowed to sit it in one region, and the score is shared with the other region if you are applying for both. If your son has done the same test, then he might not need to do another test, just do a late share with the new grammar school, and go on the waiting list as above. You would need to check with the schools in question though x
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

Hi, we're in Gloucestershire and I think it looks like you would be classed as a late entry, but if it's the same rest may not have to resit. With a late entry your child's score would be added to the waiting list after allocation day.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Brackenboo wrote:Hi, we're in Gloucestershire and I think it looks like you would be classed as a late entry, but if it's the same rest may not have to resit. With a late entry your child's score would be added to the waiting list after allocation day.
CEM provides the tests for several areas and within them, some groupings using the same test on the same day. Gloucestershire shares a test with Reading, Slough, Redbridge and Chelmsford County High, so you can register with any or all of those areas and have the score standardised with the cohort for each one with which you registered (sitting the exam only once), but I don't think that the shared Birmingham / Warwickshire test is the same. If I'm right, your DS would have to sit the late test in Gloucestershire.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The Bham/Warks test, although set by CEM is not the same test as used in Glos.
Klou

Post by Klou »

Thank you so much for all of your help & advice. I was a bit lost and it’s much appreciated.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now