Anyone here yet for 2021 entry?!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Eviewin

Anyone here yet for 2021 entry?!

Post by Eviewin »

After getting DS1 sorted last year, and now happily settling into y7, I’m starting to think about going through it all again with DS2 who has just started y5. We didn’t use an outside tutor last time and don’t plan to this time unless DS2 and I struggle to get along when doing stuff at home, but I want to get going so we can take it gently. Anyone else heading into the fray?
Mumto3Girls

Re: Anyone here yet for 2021 entry?!

Post by Mumto3Girls »

Yep. Am about to step into the fray once again....

We are in a similar position. DD1 now happily settled and loving life at Pates.....but are doubling up for 2021 with her identical twin sisters doing the test next autumn! That'll be fun.....!!

No outside tutoring here either. DD1 did a bit of Maths with her Dad since we knew the Maths on the paper was beyond Year 5 work and we did some NVRs together as these were unfamiliar territory. Planning to do the same again :)

Nice to "meet" you!
Glos18

Post by Glos18 »

Yep, we are back for round 2, now DS is settled at Tommies. Home tutoring again. DD is a completely different kettle of fish. She's already got the speed nailed although could be stronger with maths. I'm glad I only have to do this twice, I don't know how people do it 4 times!
Eviewin

Post by Eviewin »

Hello! Good to know I’m not alone.

Yikes at twins, Mumto3girls, though I guess there are advantages to doing it all in one year! And I know what you mean about different children, Glos18. DS2 is more English biased than his older brother, so will need to do more on maths and NVR I think. And is more flighty in his attention span! At this stage I’ve no idea what school would suit him best, so just keeping an open mind and see where we end up.
starcrazy

Post by starcrazy »

Yes, now my son has settled at STRS I’m in for round two (of potentially three.) I shamelessly outsource the tutoring, my daughter has just started her hour each week whilst at home we’re focusing on reading, just generally being engaged with schoolwork and a couple of extra-curricular activities.
We looked around the girl’s schools in the summer as that’s her preference, although might have a look at Crypt again just to rule it out.
TwoAndTwoMakesFour

Post by TwoAndTwoMakesFour »

Me! First time for us, eldest of 4 currently year 5. Have looked at Marling and STR and will be looking at Crypt and Pates when the open mornings come up. He starts tutoring next week.
MountainDweller

Post by MountainDweller »

Me :roll: Third, and thankfully, last time!

We’ll be half heartedly doing DIY again. :|
monkeypops

Post by monkeypops »

We're on our second (and last!) round, DD2 is more excited than expected so hope the enthusiasm lasts!
Eviewin

Post by Eviewin »

I’ve been keeping an eye on the results thread, remembering how it felt last year, and worrying in advance for next year! I think my main concern is whether DS2 will feel under pressure or compare himself to DS1; being the next sibling when the first was successful is a little tricky.

But DS2 really likes the comp that would be our back up (swayed by good snacks, cool science stuff and a very short open evening speech from the head teacher!) so hopefully he won’t feel hard done by if he doesn’t get other grammar options.
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to all this, first of 2 for me. DD in year 5. Planning on going down the DIY route as work makes a fixed tutoring session difficult. I'm also not sure that DD would respond well... reasonably bright, but focus can be an issue and I can't really afford to pay for daydreaming.
Not planning anything too intensive, don't want to take over her childhood, just want her to try the test and possibly get more options. Not really sure what I'm doing, didn't grow up in an 11+ area and no friends with children who've done it either.

Wishing you all luck and look forward to exchanging tales over the next year or so!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now