Results day on Friday - how to deliver the news to child

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
TNM47

Results day on Friday - how to deliver the news to child

Post by TNM47 »

Hi

We finally the results on Friday - my son will be handed the envelope when leaving school. He will bring it home and we will open it then....I am feeling more worried about this than anything else...my face says it all - does anyone haveany sugegstions on best way to do this?
kenyancowgirl

Re: Results day on Friday - how to deliver the news to child

Post by kenyancowgirl »

If he doesn't know what the envelope is, go off somewhere quiet and open it yourself and then go and tell him either way.

If he does know what it is then spend time reminding him how very proud of him you are and that actually it doesn't matter at all - passing the 11+ just gave him a few more options for school choices which is why you wanted him to do it - but he will do well wherever he goes.

I would still try and open it yourself so that you can work out what you think it means before speaking to him - and then move on - make a cake, watch tv, don't dwell on it too much positive or negative - some children who do very well panic as they realise they will move from their friendship groups, so keeping it low key helps them - he may be disappointed if he has done badly - keep it low key...
TNM47

Post by TNM47 »

Thanks Kenyan Girl - he will definitely know what it is .....I had not thought of asking him if we can open it first and then speak to him....thank you.... I am not sure if he will allow this though....

I so wish we got sent the results during the day so we had time to regroup/prepare....aaagh!!!
NDPM

Post by NDPM »

Dear TNM47,
In Kent, if the parents have applied for their child to take the Kent Test online and have provided an email, then the parents will get an email on Thursday after 4:00 p.m.
A letter will then be delivered the next day at the home address.

Good luck. We are in the same boat but have planned a jumping after school whatever the results with a group of kids who have taken the test
Last edited by NDPM on Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sookipixeldust

Post by sookipixeldust »

Hi TNM47

I'm OOC, so the envelope will arrive at my home address. I plan to pop home at lunchtime to find out what the result is, then compose myself and go back to work. We've agreed that I'll pick my child up at home-time and walk home together and then I will then tell them when we are at home. That way, if they are upset, then they can be upset without anyone watching.

I've/we've told my child over and over again that they will be do well and be happy at either their elder sibling's grammar school, or the local comprehensive, and that because they work hard, they are likely to get similar exam results. I have a list of 'pros' for the local comp ready to go, and top of the list is the fact that many of their friends will be going there. My child has been to both open days and agreed they would be happy to go to either school, so most of the groundwork has been done.

Finally, I will give them a card to celebrate their mark, whether it is officially a pass or not; they worked hard to be ready for the 11+, and they couldn't have done any more preparation than they did. I'm very proud of my child, whatever the result, and I'll make sure that they know that. I expect we'll then have takeaway pizza or similar, to celebrate their achievement.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I'm guessing this is Buckinghamshire? There will be no getting away with him not knowing what it is, I'm sure.
I think I probably worried about this, but to be honest, it's all over in seconds - one minute you won't know & then you will. Just be prepared to give him a hug & say that you are proud of him, whatever the result. Unfortunately there will be a lot of chat about it at school so it is impossible to keep it low key.
Good luck!
scary mum
TNM47

Post by TNM47 »

Thanks scary mum - yes Bucks.....gosh it is going to be tough - this is the part that I am dreading most. Eeek!!
Buckscountyoptions

Post by Buckscountyoptions »

This is our first experience of the results day and I'm a little confused. In Bucks, is it only the letter that the kids get from school at the end of Friday or are parents emailed? I was concerned before about being grilled at pick up, but if the only communication is via the letter then at least we can quickly get to the car and away from the school! The kids will be influenced by our reaction so best to be prepared for every scenario... I think the texting afterwards (parents and kids!) will be tough. I think we'll do a device free evening regardless of the result
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

Last edited by Deb70 on Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

Good luck to everyone for the Bucks results on Friday.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now