Today's Kent test - half of English test questions missed!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
CornwallJon

Today's Kent test - half of English test questions missed!

Post by CornwallJon »

Hi all,
We understand that in the Kent test today, our son missed the final page of the English test questions completely - approximately 12 questions. He did not run out of time, but either did not notice that there was another page of questions, or was not sure he was allowed to turn the page (difficult to get a clear answer from him as he is a bit upset about it).

We know that English is his strongest area and he is likely to have done fairly well elsewhere in the English test. Probably also OK on the other sections, but less strong in these areas. His head teacher has already said that he will appeal in the event of a poor test result.

Does anyone have any idea about the grounds for appeal in this instance, other than that the child is generally bright and strong in English? We are worried as we cannot really see any clear grounds for a successful appeal.

Any thoughts - particularly based on prior experience - welcome!

Thank you
salsa

Re: Today's Kent test - half of English test questions misse

Post by salsa »

Hi
That happens unfortunately, and your son is not the first one. Do follow the headmaster’s guidance on this one. For the Kent test, the heads get the results one month in advance. If they feel that a student should have done better, they provide evidence that the child is performing at the required level. The review panel can then award a pass.

If your son concentrated all his time in half the questions and did them well, then he would probably still pass them.
Do console him and tell him that there are still other avenues.

Salsa
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Agreed.

The fact that he had more time to focus on a smaller number of questions increases the chances of him getting those right.

How many questions were on the final page?

In future advise him that he needs to keep going until he either sees the words STOP or the words End of paper.

I hope we will hear that he did ok when the results come out. DG
salsa

Post by salsa »

There used to be 24 to 25 questions.

Salsa
NorthLondonMummy

Post by NorthLondonMummy »

salsa wrote:Hi
That happens unfortunately, and your son is not the first one. Do follow the headmaster’s guidance on this one. For the Kent test, the heads get the results one month in advance. If they feel that a student should have done better, they provide evidence that the child is performing at the required level. The review panel can then award a pass.

If your son concentrated all his time in half the questions and did them well, then he would probably still pass them.

Salsa
"heads get the results one month in advance. If they feel that a student should have done better, they provide evidence that the child is performing at the required levell."

Do Heads is all primary schools know the grammar school results? I'm in London. Please explain, how and what stage Head Teachers get involved? Shall I ask our Head 'headmasters guidance'
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

NorthLondonMummy wrote:
salsa wrote:Hi

Salsa
"heads get the results one month in advance. If they feel that a student should have done better, they provide evidence that the child is performing at the required levell."

Do Heads is all primary schools know the grammar school results? I'm in London. Please explain, how and what stage Head Teachers get involved? Shall I ask our Head 'headmasters guidance'
This particular thread is specific for the Kent Test - in other areas, whether or not the child's primary school is informed may, variously, also be automatic, may only be done if the parents have given specific permission, or may not be done at all by the test organisers. Did your DS sit the Kent Test?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Kent has its own system of reviews (the Headteacher Assessment), and I doubt that it is replicated anywhere else with results being sent to headteachers as much as a month in advance.
Etienne
claireolivia

Post by claireolivia »

Hi, you can make a subject access request to kent admissions. ive just done it for my son, they told me how many questions he hadnt answered for each section and also how many questions he answered correctly. They also located the paper and confirmed that the questions he hadnt answered were at the end of the paper and therefore suggests he ran out of time.
Currently they are refusing to provide any other helpful info eg average number of questions not answered apparenty under GDPR legislation. they also wont tell you how many questions there were. i dont think there couldve been the same number of questions in each paper.

Heres my response

"***** did not attempt 3 questions on the English paper, he did not attempt 7 questions on the Maths paper and he did not attempt 27 questions on the Reasoning paper.

***** answered 16 questions correctly on the English paper, 9 questions correctly on the Maths paper and he answered 31 questions correctly on the Reasoning paper.

At the request of the test provider I am unable to provide any further information regarding the actual test including the number of questions on each paper, as this information is confidential to the nature of their business."

then...

"Hi,
The only other information is that ****** Headteacher did not refer him to the Headteacher assessment panel. I have located his test papers and I can also confirm that the questions that ***** did not answer were all at the end of the papers, which may suggest he ran out of time. We are unable to give you information regarding other children under GDPR legislation, however we have produced a spreadsheet on our website with some further information.