Slough 109 points with EHCP and a sibling at grammar school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MrsSpring

Slough 109 points with EHCP and a sibling at grammar school

Post by MrsSpring »

My son has Asd and Ehcp. When he had the 11+ he was entitled to have extra time and breaks whenever needed. So he was supposed to be given 15min extra for each setting. After test,couple of parents of nt kids asked me why my son was out too early,at least 25min earlier than their kids. When we enquire,school said because they were only 3 kids in the class,they started the test quicker than other classes which were about 60-70 of kids. My son said he could not finish all the test and had to leave many questions blank when asked time was up and to go out. Today we had results and he got 109☹. I know criteria is 111 but because he has ehcp and also a sister already at the same school at year9 with great achievement and results,do we have a stand to appeal anywhere and anytime,and how? We believe being at the same school will give him more confidence,also reassurance for us for his safety and wellbeing,which was the case when they were at the same primary school. TIA
Aethel

Re: 109points with EHCP and a sibling at grammar school

Post by Aethel »

I’m afraid it’s not possible to know for certain; but do bear in mind that if your child didn’t gain a passing mark you can appeal, but Slough appeals are only very, very, very rarely successful.

It makes no difference how capable/able his sister is: she is a different child.

EHCPs only make a difference if the school is specifically named as the only school suitable for him for <whatever reasons>, and being with a sibling alone is unfortunately not enough.

Remember also, that while the test is not a fair test in many ways, one
of the things it does identify is those kids who are quick paced (either by natural ability and practice, or through large quantities of
tutoring to whip them to the highest speed possible for them)
If your child’s natural speed of working is lower than the cohort, they may struggle to keep up and have an unhappy and difficult time at a Grammar (which is not worth it).

We had a similar issue with my DD2 who has SEN (severe dyslexia) and decided not to appeal: she is very happy in the top stream of the local non Grammar and we think it was the right decision for her. Do you have non grammar options?
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Sorry, just noticed this isn’t in the Slough section: I’m just assuming it’s sLough because of the timing of your post and the 111 pass mark!
MrsSpring

Post by MrsSpring »

Thanks for your reply. Yes it is for slough actually. I dont know much about this page so I just posted it here. Actually he is not very slow,he did not have any problems at school tests. I think because of stress and importance of the test he spend more time on questions he did. We gave 2 names to council,gs and a local secondary. But much prefer gs if we can have a chance of appeal.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I will move the post to the Berkshire section & edit the title.
scary mum
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It's not really a Slough issue - although I too noted the reference to "111"! :lol:
It has more to do with SEN / Appeals.
do we have a stand to appeal anywhere and anytime,and how?
Appeals involving the named school for an EHCP are dealt with by the First-tier Tribunal (Special Educational Needs and Disability):
https://www.gov.uk/courts-tribunals/fir ... disability" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
However, I don't think they deal with qualification for grammar school.

You may need to appeal to the grammar school's Independent Appeal Panel (IAP) to settle the issue of academic suitability.

Not sure I'm 100% up to date with current SEN procedures, so am happy to be corrected.
You can also get advice from your local council, from Parent Partnership, and from IPSEA.

For our guidance on how to appeal against non-qualification, see:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... lification" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
KausB

Re: Slough 109 points with EHCP and a sibling at grammar sch

Post by KausB »

MrsSpring, if you have not written to the test centre already (with a sort of complain or atleast to confirm if he was provided the extra 15 min), then maybe worth doing it? Builds your case for an appeal, if you decide to go that way - maybe others on the board can advise.
Oblique

Re: Slough 109 points with EHCP and a sibling at grammar sch

Post by Oblique »

As your son has an ECHP then the process of applying for a secondary school place is not through the usual CAF process but via the annual review process.

Your son must have an Annual Review Meeting each year. In year 6, this is usually arranged for October / November and all those involved must be invited. Amendments to the EHCP will be made, based on this meeting and this must be sent to you within 20 weeks. You then have 15 days to ask for any corrections and you also name your chosen school. The final EHCP must be issued by the 15th February. You must be given information about organisations that can help you (Parent Partnership / Information, Advice and Support, Mediation Services should be available).

The LA must name your chosen school unless it doesn't meet your son's needs, his presence would negatively impact the education of the other students or it would be ineffective use of resources. A selective school could tell the LA they don't want to offer a place but it sounds like your son has only just missed the cut off. Have you spoken to the SENCo at your preferred school? This would be where I would start as you need to get him/her on board. And arrange a tour of the school for you and your son during a normal school day, with the SENCo as guide. Does the SENCo at the current school think he can meet the academic challenge? Can this school provide the academic evidence? Having a sibling at this school won't be relevant if your son can't meet the academic hurdle but you could use it as a supporting argument if he suffers with anxiety. And sorry, your needs as a parent don't count (unless you have a SEN or Disability)! :D

The SEND Code of Practice is a useful read. I am not from your area but I am a SEND parent and the process is the same across the country. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now