Presents for teachers at the end of the year?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Kegs Mom 3

Presents for teachers at the end of the year?

Post by Kegs Mom 3 »

Any suggestions?

Anybody know what teachers want, what they really, really want??!!

Also, any definite no nos, all you teachers out there?

My year 6 DS really likes his young, male teacher. Other than the fact that he's really cool and a very proud new dad I don't know much about him.

Also have to get present for female teacher for younger DS.

Would proabably be better to collect as a class and then give a suitable voucher instead of loads of naff presents! However, other parents not very forth-coming, or their DC want to give seperate present to their teacher!

Your thoughts and ideas will be very much appreciated!
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

wine!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

actually I really liked the presents which children had made.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Okay, here goes...
Of course anything hand made is really sweet and a kind gesture, but it rarely gets displayed at home - my children would be far too jealous!!
Wine is SUPER, chocolates less so as most teachers become inundated with them. Plants are lovely but possibly not flowers as they often get given away as we are often about to go on holiday once that bell rings!
I have been given some beautiful costume jewellery - nothing expensive -but once children know what you like (I like green!!), they usually choose great gifts! A voucher would be lovely, as would a letter to the Head saying what a fantastic teacher I am!!! Smelly things are a kind gesture but tricky to get right.
Please don't misunderstand though, gifts rarely go unappreciated.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I always give wine to the teachers my children have - at Christmas and the end of the year.
toony

pressies

Post by toony »

I echo the request for a letter to the Head if you have been pleased with the teacher's efforts. When I have received these then the Head has mentioned it to me which is nice too.

I am always amazed at the generosity of many parents. My best ever present was vouchers for the local shopping centre which all the parents had clubbed together to buy.

My own children enjoy all the chocolates but they only serve to make me even fatter! I'm not a big drinker and sometimes get given red wine when I only like white so it's difficult to know how your pressie might go down. Sorry I don't like home made gifts, I'm obviously heartless - although of course I would never say that to the child!

I shall be buying Cinzano for my youngests teacher - she has been hinting to me. The other teacher will probably get some top quality chocs - Hotel Chocolat as I know she loves this. As I teach at their school it is a lot easier to know what they might like!
katel

Post by katel »

My children always give their teachers Oxfam presents - usually school related ones. School books, or school bags. Teachers have always been very pleased (not least, I suspect, because they don't have to carry it home!)
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

I always give bottles of wine, after asking and being told by a teacher friend, that these always go down a treat :wink:
teacher

Post by teacher »

I know it's not the money but here goes!.........Book tokens- absolute fave with me- yes, we do spend them on school stuff but I love looking.
I have also just been given a fab Sanctuary gift set-just gorgeous. One mum made me a lovely necklace one year and someone else home-made jam. I love all the cards the children have given me over the years, especially the ones that younger children have had to write in their best writing... keep all of them-they are very special to me.
Kegs Mom 3

Post by Kegs Mom 3 »

Thank you for all the replies!

Looks like my usual mugs and pens :oops: are out then!

Have just been informed by over-generous son that he wants to buy a gift for every teacher he's had since he's been at Primary, as this is his final year! :roll:
I will, therefore, probably be able to put ALL your wonderful suggestions to good use!!!

I will also write a letter of thanks, have been really pleased with the school this year, we are extremely lucky to have a new, young (32!) dynamic Head Teacher who is absolutely brilliant!

Thank you all again. :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now