News article about Bucks 11+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Blue_Marigold

News article about Bucks 11+

Post by Blue_Marigold »

This is a news article which appeared in my FB feed. Apologies if this has already been posted on here. It’s about a child who passed the Bucks 11+ but didn’t get into their school of choice.

https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/1 ... ar-school/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rhiane

Re: News article about Bucks 11+

Post by rhiane »

Blue_Marigold wrote:This is a news article which appeared in my FB feed. Apologies if this has already been posted on here. It’s about a child who passed the Bucks 11+ but didn’t get into their school of choice.

https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/1 ... ar-school/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So is the 'Safety Review' the review? If so those children are deemed as qualified!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

It's because she didn't live close enough. Those who went to review successfully, and were therefore qualified lived closer. They were simply following the admission process.
scary mum
Blue_Marigold

Post by Blue_Marigold »

As a parent whose child benefitted from the SR, it makes me sad that OOC people feel they have more rights to our local school than my child has. She was deemed qualified and she has every right to go there. I am sure the 27 children who are now at Burnham Grammar feel the same.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

Aren't all Bucks children who pass the test offered a GS place?
I don't know how parents can let their children go through the eleven plus process without first doing their own homework and researching the admissions rules for the schools they want. Parents, do the research!!!
Burnhammum

Post by Burnhammum »

I read this a while ago and it rather irritated me at the time.

Firstly, it’s really sloppy journalism not to check the terminology. Has the Selection Review ever been called a “Safety Review”? Seems very unlikely!

I didn’t feel the family concerned had any right to the outrage they seem to feel. Admission rules had been applied correctly and it made me wonder if they had ever bothered to actually read them. The friends who “didn’t pass” had gone through the review process and were deemed to be every bit as qualified as this girl. Add to that the fact that they do not live in Bucks or in the catchment area for any Bucks school. I just don’t understand why they think they are entitled to a place. Sure, people from Langley have often got places at BGS in years gone by but there was never any “right” to a place. I imagine the child probably did not pass the Slough Consortium exam that would have got her into Langley Grammar or one of the other Slough grammars but of course no mention is made of that.
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

Blue_Marigold wrote:As a parent whose child benefitted from the SR, it makes me sad that OOC people feel they have more rights to our local school than my child has. She was deemed qualified and she has every right to go there. I am sure the 27 children who are now at Burnham Grammar feel the same.
I'm not a Bucks resident (Berks) but I absolutely agree with you, I'm not sure where the first DC lives but the other DC mentioned in the article is in Langley which is not in catchment for BGS!

It's naughty of the paper to say that all those DC that got places weren't qualified as they qualified as soon as as the selection review panel made their decision and certainly were qualified when they were offered places at Burnham.
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

Burnhammum wrote:I read this a while ago and it rather irritated me at the time.

Firstly, it’s really sloppy journalism not to check the terminology. Has the Selection Review ever been called a “Safety Review”? Seems very unlikely!

I didn’t feel the family concerned had any right to the outrage they seem to feel. Admission rules had been applied correctly and it made me wonder if they had ever bothered to actually read them. The friends who “didn’t pass” had gone through the review process and were deemed to be every bit as qualified as this girl. Add to that the fact that they do not live in Bucks or in the catchment area for any Bucks school. I just don’t understand why they think they are entitled to a place. Sure, people from Langley have often got places at BGS in years gone by but there was never any “right” to a place. I imagine the child probably did not pass the Slough Consortium exam that would have got her into Langley Grammar or one of the other Slough grammars but of course no mention is made of that.
Totally agree with you, out of interest where do the family live, is it Langley where the other family who are mentioned in the article live?
Burnhammum

Post by Burnhammum »

Both girls in the article are from Langley.

One of the mothers says her daughter has been “traumatised” by not getting a place. I’m afraid that’s all on the parent for giving her false expectations!
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

Burnhammum wrote:Both girls in the article are from Langley.

One of the mothers says her daughter has been “traumatised” by not getting a place. I’m afraid that’s all on the parent for giving her false expectations!
I agree! To have gone to the papers when they're not even in catchment is quite ridiculous, also doesn't sound too good to mention how hard they have worked to qualify, seems to me that a lot of tuition may have taken place?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now