St olaves

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

EssexMum

St olaves

Post by EssexMum »

Not sure if its allowed but i m after at olaves reviews

My ds cleared the first round of st olaves n hopefully will clear the second one as well..we do plan to list this as one of our choices but would like some first hand reviews pls?
Is it really the exam factory as its portrayed and there is immense pressure on kids? Do they just care abt league tables n not bothered abt children welfare?
Please dm me if you are unable to post your views here..thanks!
Thirdtimer3

Re: St olaves

Post by Thirdtimer3 »

I think it comes under Bromley not Kent you may get more answers in that section
I know 2 boys who go there - they are hugely academic and enjoying it and doing well
I think it’s a school that is very much there to drive the best results from a super selective cohort
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Thirdtimer3 wrote:I think it comes under Bromley not Kent you may get more answers in that section
I know 2 boys who go there - they are hugely academic and enjoying it and doing well
I think it’s a school that is very much there to drive the best results from a super selective cohort
It's very definitely in the London Borough of Bromley- perhaps ask a Mod to move it for you?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

I don’t recognise this view of St Olaves - it may have been like that in the past but times have obviously changed. Boys are really well supported and there are many well being and pastoral support measures. Teachers are very accessible by email or by appointment. It does have an academic pace and there are boys who can’t keep up for whatever reason but they are supported well as far as I can see. They have topic tests each half term to test knowledge and I think this is fairly common in selective schools. It felt daunting at first but helps with the the end of year exams as they’re not cramming everything at once. Class sizes reduce in year 9 and the only setting is in maths.

There are many lunch clubs and after school sports clubs as well as several orchestras. The only pressure I can see is from certain cultural groups (parents) who push their children to get top marks, sometimes at the expense of ‘down time’ but this seems to be a fairly small group and the school actively discourage this. Most of the boys I think are just (very bright) normal teenagers who game a lot and moan about homework!
thickasabrick

Post by thickasabrick »

Since they found a rather large amount of money there would have been a big improvement. I would think they would by now have addressed the shortcomings that were mentioned in THAT report especially in the maths department - I am sure someone who has a child there could confirm this.