2020 entry scores awarded higher than last year's score?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Wearesmashingit

2020 entry scores awarded higher than last year's score?

Post by Wearesmashingit »

I am not very good at working out statistics so I kept the print out from last year's results when mums and dads put up on the forum (2019 entry)
It appears to be,,

2019 Entry English 41 and Maths 45 September child got 349.09
2020 Entry English 41 and Maths 41 September child got 361

2019 Entry English 45 and Maths 39 September child got 345.13
2020 Entry English 45 and Maths 34 (mid year born) got 367.5

2019 Entry year English 48 and Maths 54 (don't know when born) got 388.13
2020 Entry year English 47 and Maths 55 (July born) got 411.87

Not sure what last means for English and Maths. This year is 28.xx in English and 27.xx in Maths.
both last year and this year CSSE started age standardisation so it is not age factor.

2020 entry scores seem to be inflated based on similar raw scores in 2019 entry. Does this mean kids this year did not do as well as last year overall?
Last edited by Wearesmashingit on Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Encapsulate

Re: 2020 entry scores awarded higher than last year's score?

Post by Encapsulate »

Weighted score takes into account how difficult the test papers were as well, so in theory a higher score this year means the test was harder than last year.
Wearesmashingit

Encapsulate wrote:Weighted score takes into account how difficult the test papers were as well, so in theory a higher score this year means the test was harder than last year.
Ok I was informed the English mean figure last year was 37.6 and maths was 24.7. - English mean figure showed a huge difference and maths dipped down as well.
Sarmum

Post by Sarmum »

Please see the links below to understand the results of the last two years:

2018 entry, September 2017 exam results

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... .xlsx.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2019 entry, September 2018 exam results

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... Y.xls.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scores above 350 had never been as high as 2019 entry, with nearly 300 more pupils achieving >350. The reasons were:
1. Age standardisation introduced for the first time
2. A very able cohort - many primary schools testified to this.

Maths was the hardest Paper ever last year, so average went down to 24, some parents couldn’t wait to buy the maths papers in February this year, including me, to see how difficult it was. English was at par with previous years, but average was higher at 37. The guidance sheet served no purpose no last year. Many head teachers stressed during the review meetings that the scores were very high and not to rely on the guidance sheet. We had a lot of disappointed parents and DC’s on 1st March, so much so that even scores above 370 didn’t get a place at KEGS and scores above 340 didn’t get a place at Southend grammars.

We can only wait until 1st March to see if the trend continues this year, or will fall back in line with previous years. Please attend the review meetings and listen to what the HT’s have to say on scores. I would urge you all to list your schools in the order of your preference and wish you get a place at your first choice school.
Stateschooled

Post by Stateschooled »

Based on the above information do you think that it is more likely that parents of children who took the exam this year should base the likelihood of a child getting into the desired school on last years cut offs?

Also, at the review meetings at the school's, do the Heads know what score is likely to get in this year?
Sarmum

Post by Sarmum »

If I were to apply this year, I would go by last year’s cutoff scores and scores prior to that.
High scores last year were recorded in other areas too, such as North London and Birmingham, it was not limited to Essex. For eg, in QE, the last score offered was 235 on 1st March, while in previous years it was 229.

While HT’s wouldn’t comment on likely scores to get a place at the review meetings, they know the numbers of high performers, you can ask if the scores were as high as last year or slightly lesser, to get a rough idea of what the cut off could be.
DSDSDD

Post by DSDSDD »

Sarmum wrote:If I were to apply this year, I would go by last year’s cutoff scores and scores prior to that.
High scores last year were recorded in other areas too, such as North London and Birmingham, it was not limited to Essex. For eg, in QE, the last score offered was 235 on 1st March, while in previous years it was 229.

While HT’s wouldn’t comment on likely scores to get a place at the review meetings, they know the numbers of high performers, you can ask if the scores were as high as last year or slightly lesser, to get a rough idea of what the cut off could be.
I would only use CSSE 2019 entry cutoffs (and not 2018 or prior entry) as an indication, as it was the first time (in recent years?) that CSSE implemented age standardisation, as they have done again this year for 2020 entry.
Wearesmashingit

Sarmum wrote:Please see the links below to understand the results of the last two years:

2018 entry, September 2017 exam results

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... .xlsx.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2019 entry, September 2018 exam results

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... Y.xls.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scores above 350 had never been as high as 2019 entry, with nearly 300 more pupils achieving >350. The reasons were:
1. Age standardisation introduced for the first time
2. A very able cohort - many primary schools testified to this.

Maths was the hardest Paper ever last year, so average went down to 24, some parents couldn’t wait to buy the maths papers in February this year, including me, to see how difficult it was. English was at par with previous years, but average was higher at 37. The guidance sheet served no purpose no last year. Many head teachers stressed during the review meetings that the scores were very high and not to rely on the guidance sheet. We had a lot of disappointed parents and DC’s on 1st March, so much so that even scores above 370 didn’t get a place at KEGS and scores above 340 didn’t get a place at Southend grammars.

We can only wait until 1st March to see if the trend continues this year, or will fall back in line with previous years. Please attend the review meetings and listen to what the HT’s have to say on scores. I would urge you all to list your schools in the order of your preference and wish you get a place at your first choice school.
Your reply was very informative Thank you. Sorry I was not that clear on my initial message. I meant last year as in 2019Entry and this year as in 2020 entry.
suri_ash

Post by suri_ash »

Hello Parents.
I wonder if anyone can help advise if there is a coach that runs between Barking & KEGS ? I've heard there is but cant find a solid proof
thanks
Chelsmuna

Post by Chelsmuna »

suri_ash wrote:Hello Parents.
I wonder if anyone can help advise if there is a coach that runs between Barking & KEGS ? I've heard there is but cant find a solid proof
thanks

There is a coach that runs from seven kings, passing through goodmayes to kegs and cchs
Ami coaches
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now