358 - any chance for Skinners’ in area?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mamabear75

358 - any chance for Skinners’ in area?

Post by Mamabear75 »

We are within the defined catchment for in area but 358 is two points short of the published 360 cut-off. We do have other options so it’s not the end of the world if he doesn’t get there but skinners’ would be a great fit for my son & this 358 was gained without any formal tutoring (& pretty basic parental involvement :oops: !)

his scores were 129 for reasoning which was as expected, English 112 a bit lower than anticipated but not a huge shock as it’s definitely his weakest subject but maths 119 was quite a bit below original expectations but timing has been an issue and he missed the last 6 questions (& didn’t even guess :roll: ) so understandable IYKWIM.

Presumably we have two options:
1. Put skinners’ as our first choice and hope they don’t fill in area and out of area at 360 & we aren’t too far away
2. Appeal

My main concern with an appeal is should we just accept the score he’s got and send him to a non super-selective grammar where he may be better placed. I’m waiting for a call from his teacher to see whether the school would support an appeal (I think they would based on academics)
Any advice much appreciated
thankgoodnessitsover

Re: 358 - any chance for Skinners’ in area?

Post by thankgoodnessitsover »

Hi,

It's frustrating to be so close to the cut off and I really feel for you.

I do know that last year (the first year of new 360 cut off) that Skinners' took no boys in area with a score less than 360.

I don't know what the new 330 pass mark means? Does it mean scores generally will be about 7 points higher and therefore cut offs at schools that still work on that basis (Judd and TGS) will go up too? Every year there are changes that make it hard to predict and I wonder if Skinners' will raise its 360 cut off for 2021 entry given the increase in pass mark.

To be honest I think 358 is unlikely to be successful but ultimately go with your heart and put Skinners' first if you want it. Then maybe twbgs second. You'll definitely get your second choice and then maybe your first if things work out different to last year.
rasv

Post by rasv »

My advise will be to put The Skinners as first choice. If I remember correct, head teacher on Open day said you can put even if you are lower than 360 (but you can verify from school's admission).

(As per my previous experience) What happens is after 1st round (March 1), children goes on waiting list for second round that happens somewhere in end of March or start of April. If seats are available then your son will automatically get a seat.
After second round, it is waiting list maintained by school plus preference is given to those cleared via appeal . At this point, children who have not added school in Secondary school application can also apply. After 1st round (March 1), you can straight apply for appeal that happens in school after 2nd round are declared. Best of luck for your DS.
doodles

Post by doodles »

rasv wrote:My advise will be to put The Skinners as first choice. If I remember correct, head teacher on Open day said you can put even if you are lower than 360 (but you can verify from school's admission).

(As per my previous experience) What happens is after 1st round (March 1), children goes on waiting list for second round that happens somewhere in end of March or start of April. If seats are available then your son will automatically get a seat.
It may not be automatic if you haven't achieved 360 (or whatever the figure is) you will need to check that
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
PanicMode

Post by PanicMode »

A friend of mine's son scored one below the threshold last time, they are super local and appealed but didn't get in.....I would put it down, but wouldn't hold out huge hopes TBH.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

it will be a case of putting the school first, being rejected and then appealing in March (can't do it before this) - need to collect lots of evidence of academic ability to put forward - plenty of info here: https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mamabear75

Post by Mamabear75 »

Okay thank you that’s really helpful. Not still not spoken to school yet and their feedback (& willingness to support appeal or not) will be the deciding factor as to whether we would go down the appeal route or just wait and see if he gets it.

Can I finally just clarify, putting skinners’ first wouldn’t in any way jeopardise his (almost certainly guaranteed) place at TWGSB if we put them second?
countrylifeKat

Post by countrylifeKat »

As far as I understand it, there is an equal preference system - therefore whichever school can offer you a place once they've applied all their oversubscription criteria, you will be offered whichever is the highest choice on your form. For example, if Skinners and TWBG were both able to offer you a place, you would be offered Skinners if that was your higher choice. If Skinners can't but TWBG can offer you a place, you'll be offered TWBG. Thats why the schools say to always put your real honest preferences in order. Good Luck, I hope your DS gets a place.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Mamabear75 wrote:
Can I finally just clarify, putting skinners’ first wouldn’t in any way jeopardise his (almost certainly guaranteed) place at TWGSB if we put them second?
You are correct, it won't. The schools are not told where else their applicants have applied, they only see their own list of applicants.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
lapindebois

Post by lapindebois »

Be aware that with Skinners, if they don't fill their in-area spaces with scores over 360, then they subsequently offer out to anyone scoring over 330, ranked on distance not score. It's very tough on those scoring just under 360, I think. So unfortunately I think your chances are slim, but no it won't jeopardise your chance at TWGSB if you put Skinners first.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now