Letter from SGS headmaster.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
dbanugo

Letter from SGS headmaster.

Post by dbanugo »

I wondered if anyone else got this letter today from SGS and if they can advise what it means?

I'm thinking not all 812 passes for SGS got this letter. Maybe it based on the percentage, and also the catchment area the child lives in.

"Dear Mrs M

I was able to send you an email yesterday with the good news that Kci has met the selective standard for entry to Sutton Grammar School set by the Governing Body.

It had to be factual and in accordance with the Schools Admission Code. We are not allowed to give any further breakdown of results to those who have passed, because a very high score could be interpreted as a promise of a place, which is not permitted.

I want you now to place schools in your true preference order on your Common Application Form, knowing that your son’s score is such that he would be welcome at Sutton Grammar School.

Having taken up the post of Headteacher here only this September, I am excited to be building on a long history of success and passion for learning.

We are a small Grammar School, giving students more chances of participation in many activities. We pride ourselves on our pastoral care and inclusion of students with medical or SEN issues. Our school puts the nurture of our students’ welfare on a par with the nurture of their intellect.

We value educational breadth, particularly in our Sixth Form, where all students are given the opportunity to study four A levels.

We are proud of our extra-curricular provision in sport, music, chess, CCF, Duke of Edinburgh’s Award scheme, STEM projects, faculty journals and much more – all with high participation rates and some excellent opportunities to work in teams and in national competitions. Several of our students have won national and international prizes in maths, science, computing and technology, and we have boys in the National Children’s Orchestra and the National Youth Orchestra. We teach three modern languages all the way to A-level. Boys in the upper school can choose to be sports leaders to complement their academic studies. These are just examples – my main point is that the school is excited to work with boys in many ways in and out of the classroom to prepare them for adult life.

Boys can choose to help with science lessons and reading schemes in local primary schools and we try to give many leadership opportunities. We are a busy, thriving, dynamic, kind school which values extra curricular activities and delivers an enjoyable and successful education to all who come here. We hope to be the school of choice for many of you. If you have any questions I would be pleased to answer them. I can be contacted by email at bcloves2@suttonmail.org

Yours sincerely

Ben Cloves
Headmaster"
kenyancowgirl

Re: Letter from SGS headmaster.

Post by kenyancowgirl »

It reads as a standard letter, trying to encourage people to choose them and reminding them that if they really prefer Sutton, then they need to list it on the CAF in their true preference order.

Not from your area but reading this suspect that Sutton is usually a back up Grammar School for some others, possibly larger, so perhaps the Head is doing a marketing push...
Oneoftwothings

Post by Oneoftwothings »

Pretty sure everybody got this letter (we and others I know did) - it is just very cleverly worded to make you think they didn’t send it to all!

Edited to add, the Wilson’s one yesterday had this sort of tone and content already - I think this is to follow up as, in comparison, the SGS one yesterday was very matter of fact and lacking in warmth.
Last edited by Oneoftwothings on Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uczncse

Post by uczncse »

Got the same letter/email. Says nothing really...
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I'm fairly certain that although the HT is correct, in that schools are not permitted to say You've got a place!, at this or any stage - the Code is pretty clear that the (single) offer of a school place must only come from the applicant's home LA, on national offer day and the school is not allowed to contact said applicant until this has happened. But I'm equally certain that there is nothing at all about not communicating actual scores; the requirement is to let candidates know how they have done, in time and in such a meaningful way to allow them to make an informed decision about whether or not to apply. They also need to make sure that the message is given that being told results is not being given a place.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
dbanugo

Post by dbanugo »

Thanks all for the replies.
rpl

Post by rpl »

Just to say I didn't receive this letter, even though we passed SGS. Maybe it is sent to those who are in their first perefence catchment area???
Hardikshah

Post by Hardikshah »

I lieve miles miles away from Sutton still received this letter so doesn't look like catchment related. Still wondering if it means anything.
K80055

Post by K80055 »

We got the letter too. I also wondered if it was just cleverly written to imply it was only sent to a specific few whilst actually sent to all as an incentive to put SG first. Seems the most likely purpose.

Interestingly my DS said the Wilson’s letter was ‘warmer’ than SG’s yesterday!
worriedmum2017

Post by worriedmum2017 »

Both Sgs and Wilson’s will be sending out emails to all who passed the exam and this is almost the same email everyone gets every year . It is not a marketing strategy ( frankly both schools doesn't need any as both are equally very good ) one is good in something the other is good in something else . Both the schools are very over subscribed and it’s an obligation for them to let know the prospective students and parents about the procedure . All the best to everyone .
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now