Sir William Borlase

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kestrel

Sir William Borlase

Post by kestrel »

Hello All,

Tried looking for a similar post, but couldn't find one or my search terms were inadequate. Apologies if this is a duplicate and can someone paste the link if it is already available?
We live in the catchment of SWBGS, but just under 3 miles away (2.75mi). I am looking at the historical data and till 2018, the furthest allocation was around 3.385mi. For 2019, this has come down to around 1.76. Is there a reason that the distance almost halved for 2019 allocations? Can we assume that the trend will follow 2020 allocations and hence, our DS has no chance to get into SWBGS?

Thank you!
Last edited by kestrel on Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum

Re: Sir William Borlase

Post by scary mum »

The distances for all the grammars have reduced. If it is your first choice, put it first. You never know.
scary mum
kestrel

Post by kestrel »

scary mum wrote:The distances for all the grammars have reduced. If it is your first choice, put it first. You never know.
Will certainly do! Thanks scary mum!
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

My children are at SWBGS.

Basically the reason for the reduction in distances seems to be down to the Wycombe Hill schools being slightly less popular at the moment (all of Borlase’s catchment are also catchment for them).

They are taking the extra class from year 7 (as opposed to year 9) soon - is that next Sept? I can’t remember. I would imagine that would ease the pressure and see all catchment offered.

I have a child in year 10 which was the first year they didn’t offer all catchment. My child was admitted under the catchment sibling rule. Prior to that all of catchment was offered.

If you want it put it 1st - if you don’t get in you’ll def get the Wycombe Hill schools but do check admissions policy regarding when the extra class starts from.

Edited to add have checked admissions policy and they are taking the extra class from 2020 - so a PAN of 150 as opposed to the previous 120. There are some other small changes to the policy as the catchment area has changed slightly.
kestrel

Post by kestrel »

kittymum wrote:My children are at SWBGS.

Basically the reason for the reduction in distances seems to be down to the Wycombe Hill schools being slightly less popular at the moment (all of Borlase’s catchment are also catchment for them).

They are taking the extra class from year 7 (as opposed to year 9) soon - is that next Sept? I can’t remember. I would imagine that would ease the pressure and see all catchment offered.

I have a child in year 10 which was the first year they didn’t offer all catchment. My child was admitted under the catchment sibling rule. Prior to that all of catchment was offered.

If you want it put it 1st - if you don’t get in you’ll def get the Wycombe Hill schools but do check admissions policy regarding when the extra class starts from.

Edited to add have checked admissions policy and they are taking the extra class from 2020 - so a PAN of 150 as opposed to the previous 120. There are some other small changes to the policy as the catchment area has changed slightly.
Thanks kittymum! That is one useful information. I did see 150, but I thought it was the same last year too. That may help a bit and fingers crossed that our DS will get in.
roja12

Post by roja12 »

Hi,

I am living in slough 7.5 miles from SWBGS. My DS is qualified for Bucks. What is chance of getting place in SWBGS?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Virtually zero, I'm afraid. Are you close to Burnham Grammar?
scary mum
roja12

Post by roja12 »

Yes. I am 1.6 miles from Burnham grammar School.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Unless things change drastically you should be fine for BGS then.
scary mum
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

roja12 wrote:Hi,

I am living in slough 7.5 miles from SWBGS. My DS is qualified for Bucks. What is chance of getting place in SWBGS?
Current years 7-10 didn’t offer all of catchment. Current year 11 you would have. Current years 12 & 13 no.

Even with the extra class I would say it is massively unlikely- there will be ooc people in Henley etc who are closer.