Dilemma - local comp in Orpington or Dartford/Beths Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BR5mum

Dilemma - local comp in Orpington or Dartford/Beths Grammar

Post by BR5mum »

(I originally posted this in the Kent forum, as I'm interested in Dartford Grammar, but thought it would make sense to post in the Bexley/Bromley forum as well).

Hello helpful people,

I'm having a dilemma about what to put as 2nd and 3rd choice on my CAF. St. Olave's will be 1st (we live in Petts Wood), we're debating whether to put Darrick Wood (our closest school, but we're 0.2 miles out of catchment) and Ravens Wood (well within catchment) as 2nd and 3rd, or put Dartford Grammar and Beths Grammar as 2nd and 3rd. We loved Dartford and like the Chinese offering and curriculum at Dartford and Beths (not so keen on the compulsory Saturday rugby at Dartford though!). I know my DS can get school coaches to both schools - however I'm hearing that they can be unreliable. We also really like Ravens Wood, mainly because of the headteacher!

Has anyone else in the same area with an older boy been through this dilemma already? I'm interested in hearing what decision you made and whether you were happy with it or regretted it. Thanks!
ChalkyC

Re: Dilemma - local comp in Orpington or Dartford/Beths Gram

Post by ChalkyC »

No advice but we have similar dilemma. St O first choice probably but absolutely no certainty. Then it’s between C&S, Beths and Bullers Boys. Bullers is 10 mins walk from our house - the others all more a journey and bus/train. Weren’t blown away by C&S, have yet to see Beths. Bullers isn’t even built yet and I’m not crazy about a 2.20pm finish!

To confuse matters more my son and my opinions are not aligned...and we are also looking at the local independents too. March seems a long way off!!
BR5mum

Post by BR5mum »

We weren't keen on Chis and Sid or the early start. Hubby said no to Bullers when we saw it is still a building site. We liked Beths but loved Dartford. Also would have been happy with DW and RW, if DS hadn't passed the tests. I think I'll be tearing my hair out in the next 12 days. Good luck with your decision!
thickasabrick

Post by thickasabrick »

Dartford Sat and Mon after school rugby is only compulsory for the first half term in Y7.
Minimum79

Post by Minimum79 »

thickasabrick wrote:Dartford Sat and Mon after school rugby is only compulsory for the first half term in Y7.

Thank you for posting this. I thought Monday was an ongoing thing. This is very useful to know x
ChalkyC

Post by ChalkyC »

Just adding to this - we went to see Beths this morning and really liked it - my son preferred it to C&S (which is a shame as it’s further away!). Still debating and need to make a very swift decision now!