Is she on right track?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pixiedust101

Is she on right track?

Post by pixiedust101 »

Hi

Have just received my DD's school report for this year, and was given her SAT results.

She is in year 4 and got 4a in Reading, 3a in writing, 3b in maths and 3a in Science.

She has done so well as she was in the remedial class in year 1!

We are trying to work out whether or not to give a big push towards grammer school, but are really aware of the fact that we want her to be able to keep up and feel comfortable if she was successful.

Maths is her weakest subject and we are in the Kent area where Maths seems to be the main focus.

Any advice would be most welcome!
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

I think if she had achieved level 3 during year 2 (the year she did her KS1 sats) she would definitely be grammar school material.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

When is her birthday?
pixiedust101

Post by pixiedust101 »

Hi

It's March
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Ok, that makes her round about the middle of the year group.

I have a year 4 daughter too (Aug born) who will be doing the Bexley and Kent tests so hopefully I can pass on some info.

Kent measure VR, NVR and Maths. The first two are not taught in schools so at this stage, unless you have already done some preparation with her, you will not know what she is capable of. With Maths she is 'average' for a year 4 child. But the 'sats' gradings you have been given are a measure of the school's teaching abilities not necessarily your daughter's potential.

My daughter's grades last year were appalling - but so was the teaching!!!
Since Sep I have been doing loads of extra work with her and in Dec we got a tutor on board. This years' grades are putting her above 'average' for her year group but as she's an August baby, she is doing very nicely in her year group.

My daughter is showing a natural ability in VR and NVR and these are the true measures of intelligence. Your daughter does not have to be achieving high 5s in year 6. That's why there are so many appeals. Parents are misled in thinking that just because a child is in the top sets in English and Maths at school that an 11+ success will follow. Now although there is some correlation it is not always the case.

So, start practising some VR and NVR and help out with the Maths. Find out now what is to be covered in years 5 and 6 and start working on it if you can. Please don't rely on your school to teach to a high standard, lots of us on this site have been let down by our schools. We have found out what has not been covered - after the 11+ has been sat!

Hope this helps.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now