QMGS Score advice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mom2365

QMGS Score advice

Post by Mom2365 »

Morning all,

So we got our results this morning from QMGS.

My son scored 337... will this be enough?

We are new to this so not sure if we even stand a chance as seen a lot of people talking about things changing.

Many thanks xx
PerArduaAdAstra

Re: QMGS Score advice

Post by PerArduaAdAstra »

If you shared your results with the other schools in the same test consortium, then i can say that she should get into the others. The cutoff for WGHS previously was referenced by the school as 319. This years test the cutoff is expected to be lower as they have extra places for 2020 entry.

We are feeling over the moon with the results today.

Good luck to everyone, and huge congratulations to all children on working hard and doing so well.
Last edited by PerArduaAdAstra on Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mom2365

Post by Mom2365 »

Thanks but looking at boys not girls.
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

I believe that 333 was the last entry for the previous couple of years (someone may correct me), so you’re in with a fairly good chance.

There may be more applicants this year due to the Birmingham catchments coming into play, but this is an unknown.

If it is your 1st choice then put it as number 1 on your CAF. Then, as hard as it is, try and switch off for 6 months as it’s just a waiting game. Once places are allocated and you know the last score in you’ll have a better idea of your chances of obtaining a place (if indeed you don’t on 1st March).
S Khan

Post by S Khan »

A little early i know but my daughter scored better in the Walsall tests but we live in central Birmingham and so looking at a trek to get there and back every day...is it too soon to be asking if others considering Walsall would be open sharing drop off and pick up? Taking my daughter one way would be fine but 2 may be a struggle with work.
Any suggestion on how we go about finding like minded parents?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

S Khan wrote:A little early i know but my daughter scored better in the Walsall tests but we live in central Birmingham and so looking at a trek to get there and back every day...is it too soon to be asking if others considering Walsall would be open sharing drop off and pick up? Taking my daughter one way would be fine but 2 may be a struggle with work.
I'm sure you have thought long and hard before turning to the internet to find a someone to whom to entrust your DD, but there are some guidelines put together by the Mods on here, which might be of interest?

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... =9&t=56409

Checklist when considering a car share:

• How much do you really know about the other parent from a child safeguarding point of view? (Remember, anyone working with children, e.g. bus drivers for the school service, must have a current DBS form.)

• How much do you really know about their driving skills? Have you seen their insurance and car roadworthy details? (Remember that public transport and dedicated school services are required to have these, to a high level.)

• How would you cope if your child fell out with the other children in the car pool, or wanted to do different after school activities, or didn't want to stay after school when the other children were staying late?

• How would you cope if one of the other car pool parents had their car break down, or off the road for some other reason, at short notice?

• What if it's your turn to drive, and you or your child is sick?

• What if the other family turns out to be unreliable, or the driver/their child is regularly late, or ill?

• What if the other child moves to a different school?

• What if one child needs to stay after school for an activity or event?

• What if the driver smokes when driving?

• What if the driver's conversation turns out to be objectionable or age inappropriate?

(With acknowledgements and thanks to one of our members who suggested that this guidance might prove helpful.)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

S Khan wrote:A little early i know but my daughter scored better in the Walsall tests but we live in central Birmingham and so looking at a trek to get there and back every day...is it too soon to be asking if others considering Walsall would be open sharing drop off and pick up? Taking my daughter one way would be fine but 2 may be a struggle with work.
You have a number of options, train from Aston or New Street Birmingham,the X51 bus service/the slower 51 or the green bus depending on its route.

https://www.thegreenbus.co.uk/bus_servi ... 851/19-20/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Every day numerous girls travel to and from the school via these forms of transport.

I do note the op was looking at scores for QMGS.

QM boys this year had 1400 applicants for 180 places.This is slightly up on last year but not by very much.The school does not envisage any changes to the catchment rules in the short term and have not discussed any changes.They will assess the impact in March 2020 but have no plans to make any changes to catchments.

The qualifying score for pupil premium places this year is likely to be 300.It has been 305 in the last two years.Last year there were about 3 to 4 people on the pupil premium waiting list.30% of the 180 places will be pupil premium.There were a total of 150 places this year.It is unlikely the catchment rules for preference for pupils at Walsall primary schools will come into play this year.

The non pupil premium cut off in the last two years for the last person admitted has been 333.This is not the same as the cut off in March of the year when places are initially allocated.

All this information was provided by the schools head at an open afternoon on the 15th October.I went to get a feel for the school under the new head Mr Langton who took over from the previous head Tim Swaine in 2018.I hadn't been to the school for a few years and my youngest daughter is thinking of an application for the sixth form.We are open minded and there were positive vibes allowing me to see beyond the school hall which had clearly seen better days.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln