English paper

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Kusum

English paper

Post by Kusum »

Hi All,

I have been reading your posts with much interest and must say that this is by far one of the best forums and site for '11+ parents.' My son is due to sit for Reading Grammar test this year and the subject he detests most is English comprehension and essay. He has these highs and lows of performance(between 70 to 85%) and this inconsistency confuses me. He is a good reader though. I have heard that RB have many mini comprehensions,is that true? Is that the case every year? Also,how long should the essay be?

Thanks
KS
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Hi Kusum,

Most boys find the English challenging. :)

2007 Exam Bewilderd ( Also sitiing in 2008 :lol: :lol: :lol: )l
English written question... write about 'A Special Place you Remember' they are given time to make a plan to help them. A much easier question to answer, than some I've heard of before!

English test consisted of mini comprehensions and mini grammar and punctuation tests.
2006 my DS
English 65 qs 50 mins/45? plus 20 mins short essay
English, NFER paper four (?) short comprehensions ( a bit like KS2 paper but half the time ! but it is multiple choice ) plus three sections spot spelling mistake, spot grammar error, best word? 65 questions a bit of a shock
The feedback I got was not that it was exceptionally difficult, just a lot of it. Have a look at a KS2 comprehension paper, have a look at the Bond English books. Look at NFER papers for the mini grammar and punctuation tests.

Good luck.

steve
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Can't add any more, Steve has given all available info.

Isn't really an essay, more a short written piece. Something which can be completed in 20mins.
Kusum

Post by Kusum »

Thanks for your advice. We have started on the Bond series but will follow yr suggestion about KS2 kits. Also are you saying that the comprehension questions are multiple choice and that he does not have to write in his own words? :D
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Kusum wrote:Also are you saying that the comprehension questions are multiple choice and that he does not have to write in his own words? :D
Yes, the English test is multiple choice(M/C). The only writing that has to done is for the 'short written' test.

Have a look at the NFER M/C 11+ test papers to give you an idea of the M/C layout expected.

HTH

BW
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Kusum wrote:Thanks for your advice. We have started on the Bond series but will follow yr suggestion about KS2 kits. Also are you saying that the comprehension questions are multiple choice and that he does not have to write in his own words? :D
The school website has dropped the reference to multiple choice. :?:

However, http://www.reading.gov.uk/Documents/edu ... 0place.pdf

Reading School
Admissions Arrangements for Year 7 places for day boys in 2009 / 2010
Entrance Tests
The entrance tests will be taken at Reading School. There will be three tests each of length approximately one hour.
They will cover i) Reasoning [verbal and/or non-verbal (abstract)],
ii) English
and iii) Mathematics.
The tests will be multiple choice with the exception of a short written section in the English paper.
Might be worth an email to the school admissions to confirm, they are very friendly.

BW you are very generous to help the 2008 competition :lol: :lol: and faster than me. :)

steve
Kusum

Post by Kusum »

Thanks very much BW and Steve. Will call the school soon. Anyways open day in a couple of weeks time, I think.
Kusum

No written piece in the English Paper of RGS

Post by Kusum »

Attended the Reading Boys open day on 3rd July. This year there will be no 20 min written essay. (Thank God!) They have made this change because the exams were getting too long. My son obviously is estatic.
stevew61

Re: No written piece in the English Paper of RGS

Post by stevew61 »

Kusum wrote:Attended the Reading Boys open day on 3rd July. This year there will be no 20 min written essay. (Thank God!) They have made this change because the exams were getting too long. My son obviously is estatic.
Kusum,

Big news, thanks for sharing. :)

Reading Borough web site still mentions "20 minute written test" but school web site does not. :?

I know of one appeal from two years ago where a boy passed all three papers but ran out of steam on the essay and dropped so many marks he did not get a place. :cry:

I have always felt that four exam papers on one day are to much. :evil:

Hopefully somebody will email admissions and get confirmation? :shock:

steve
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Thanks for the info Kusum.

Don't know how I missed this. :roll:

Spoke to Admin lady, (who was ill that night, and therefore unable to clarify testing procedure for this year), and she confirmed what you have advised.

Quite agree one less thing to worry about. :D

I have updated the sticky.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now