Local review

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Jsmiles

Local review

Post by Jsmiles »

My child sat the Trafford Consortium 11+ this year for UGS and SGS. He achieved a higher score for SGS, but was only offered a local review for UGS. I'm puzzled as to why. His score for SGS was 310 and 307 for UGS. Is it worth doing the local review? He only needs to pass as is in category 1 and does have extenuating circumstances.
Hope someone can advise me.
Educatoretmum

Re: Local review

Post by Educatoretmum »

Hi,
I thought reviews were only offered to those who get within ten marks of the pass so 324 and upwards?
I can’t answer your question but hoping you can help me as my son is within ten marks and has not been offered a review.
Thanks
Last edited by Educatoretmum on Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I’ve only checked one school’s admissions policy and it states it is an automatic internal review. You should check each school in case they vary.

https://www.salegrammar.co.uk/159/school-admissions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Internal Review
To be eligible for consideration of a place at the school a qualifying score of 334 is required. An automatic review is conducted for all candidates who score up to 13 marks below the qualifying score. In the review process the following will be considered:
 The report from the Admissions Officer on procedures carried out on the testing day
 The relevant invigilator’s report
 The test score of the pupil
 The special circumstances submitted on the Special Circumstances Form which may have
affected the candidate’s performance prior to the test or on the day of the test (if your child is ill immediately prior to or on the day of the exam, please do not bring them, alternative arrangements will be made).
The Review Panel will consist of the Headteacher, Deputy Headteacher and a primary teacher with current or recent Year 6 experience. No other representation will be relevant at this stage. Statutory appeals may follow in the summer term - see ‘Right of Appeal’ section.
Those students, whom the Review Panel deem to be eligible for qualification and therefore eligible to be considered for a place, will have their score amended to 334R.
Trafmum82

Post by Trafmum82 »

2 years ago my son did the entrance exam and didn’t pass. He missed by 2 marks for Stretford and got a local review sheet and missed by 6 marks for Sale and didn’t get one. Sale does their own review of the children within 13 marks of the pass, I wasn’t aware it went any lower than this?

We didn’t do the local review for Stretford, deciding to put my son in the local secondary instead and he loves it and is thriving.
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

Jsmiles wrote:My child sat the Trafford Consortium 11+ this year for UGS and SGS. He achieved a higher score for SGS, but was only offered a local review for UGS. I'm puzzled as to why. His score for SGS was 310 and 307 for UGS. Is it worth doing the local review? He only needs to pass as is in category 1 and does have extenuating circumstances.
Hope someone can advise me.
If you go on the Urmston Grammar School website, their admissions policy and booklet about "admission arrangements" tell you about Local Review. They don't mention a minimum score, so it seems as though anyone who didn't achieve the qualifying score can ask for a Local Review (which is different to Sale). It says they look at the score, the invigilator's report, the Special Circumstances form (if you sent one in) and "any other documents".

Someone else is probably more knowledgeable than me, but I don't think you have anything to lose?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now