If you haven’t visited a school...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
LouisaT

If you haven’t visited a school...

Post by LouisaT »

Is it madness to consider applying?

The school in question is Dartford girls. We are in county, but missed the open events.

Thank you for any thoughts or about the school in general.
scary mum

Re: If you haven’t visited a school...

Post by scary mum »

I'm not in your area, but personally I can't imagine applying for a school I hadn't visited, I think the feel of the place is so important, as is talking to staff and current students. Can you arrange a day time tour (in my opinion a lot more useful than an opend day/evening which is a very staged event)? There is nothing quite like seeing the school in operation on a normal day.
scary mum
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think if you have a choice of schools then you need to visit. I have to admit we didn't visit the girls' GS locally as there was no other GS within 20 miles and the only other local school was one you didn't tend to choose to go to. :oops:
LouisaT

Post by LouisaT »

scary mum wrote:I'm not in your area, but personally I can't imagine applying for a school I hadn't visited, I think the feel of the place is so important, as is talking to staff and current students. Can you arrange a day time tour (in my opinion a lot more useful than an opend day/evening which is a very staged event)? There is nothing quite like seeing the school in operation on a normal day.

I couldn’t agree more, but the school is on half term until next Wednesday and CAF form deadline two days later, so highly doubt a visit will be possible :(
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

It's obviously preferable to visit but then it's not as though open days always give you a full impression. If you can't make it, then you can read everything on here and ask anyone you know whose daughter goes there. There may well be a further open session for Yr 6 immediately after allocations and if you hated it then, which is probably unlikely, Kent will let you go on the waiting list for lower as well as higher choices.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now