Kendrick versus HBS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ABHIBHAD22

Kendrick versus HBS

Post by ABHIBHAD22 »

My DD has sufficient score to qualify for Kendrick & also placed as Band A in HBS . We stay in Kendrick P2 catchment. I need to shift nearer to the either school but definitely shifting nearer to HBS is more costly affair than shifting near Kendrick but that's not impossible based on our job condition and other factors. I do not want my DD to travel more than 20-30 mnts to go to her secondary school.

Given the above situation - can anyone please share their thought on what do they think about HBS and Kendrick? Does it really worth to go to HBS than going to Kendrick ?
Tinkers

Re: Kendrick versus HBS

Post by Tinkers »

I doubt there’s any significant difference between them, so go for the one that feels right since you feel you have to move.

Which one could your DD travel to at the moment? If it takes a while to move that might be a deciding factor.

Note that Band A at HBS isn’t always a definite place (from what I’ve read on the forum in previous years). I’m assuming your DDs kendrick score means she is highly likely to get a place.
ABHIBHAD22

Post by ABHIBHAD22 »

Thanks Tinkers. My DD score is 119.80 on Kendrick and I hope this is a safe score based on the historical data
mad?

Post by mad? »

ABHIBHAD22 wrote: Does it really worth to go to HBS than going to Kendrick ?
No, it is not worth it at all.
mad?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

ABHIBHAD22 wrote:Thanks Tinkers. My DD score is 119.80 on Kendrick and I hope this is a safe score based on the historical data
Yes that would be a safe score.
Berkshireguy

Post by Berkshireguy »

I am in the same situation .We are equally confused as to what difference HBS can make compared to Kendrick.

My daughter is in BandA for HBS & have scored 119 for Kendrick. I am sure not sure which one should I put as Priority 1. If I Put HBS as priority 1 and if i get it, Will Kendrick not offer me a place???

Although my daughter is in Band A, what guarentee does that offer for a seat, considering we are 30 miles away from the school postcode??

Has anyone gone/ going through similar situation as this last year.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Berkshireguy wrote:I am in the same situation .We are equally confused as to what difference HBS can make compared to Kendrick.

My daughter is in BandA for HBS & have scored 119 for Kendrick. I am sure not sure which one should I put as Priority 1. If I Put HBS as priority 1 and if i get it, Will Kendrick not offer me a place???

Although my daughter is in Band A, what guarentee does that offer for a seat, considering we are 30 miles away from the school postcode??

Has anyone gone/ going through similar situation as this last year.
Which local authority do you live in, that its website does not explain the application and allocation system to its residents? You should complain :shock:.

The school you list first should be the school that you and your DD genuinely want her to join in year 7.

Then put the school that you and she genuinely want her to join in year 7, if the first school cannot be offered.

Then put the school that you and she... and so on.

Somewhere on your form, it would be sensible to put the school from which you can be as certain as possible that she will receive an offer, not dependent on things such as entrance exams.

Each of the schools ranks your application, independently, with no knowledge of wher else you have applied. The individual responses make their way back to your home local authority. Which does know your whole list of schools. And allocates a place at the one which can offer a place, which you ranked above any others that can.

So, put HBS first, get allocated HBS, application to Kendrick, along with any other, lowest-ranked (by you) schools, disappears. You don't get to choose. You also don't get to go on the waiting list for lower ranked schools (without making what is essentially a late application to the school), or have the right to appeal for a place, because you got a higher preference (ditto).

Even if your DD is offered a place at HBS, do you really want to move house? Presumably you wouldn't make the poor child commute 30 miles each way? You must have had a plan when you registered her for the exam?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
acool

Post by acool »

I was in the similar mindset before HBS result - my DD scored Band B so things got very clear.

I live 35 miles fro HBS but I was very clear if I get Band A then HBS is going to be the first choice (there is considerable difference between Kendrick and HBS - in my view)

Please note that Band A does not mean full guarantee of offering a place so I would keep HBS first choice and then Kendrick. This year there is 3 miles catchment - school do not call as a catchment but when I read the admission policy it looks like catchment (indirect) - so it is very hard to predict what is going to happen this year and how easy and difficult to get a place for Band A (with more than 3 miles distance)

You have to decide the pain of moving is worth for the difference between these two schools - It is very subjective (please check the reports and various ranking - HBS always top in every league) - the most important point is - what does your DD says, have you seen the schools and her intuition about secondary school matters apart from house move and what you want as a father / parent.
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

acool wrote:I live 35 miles fro HBS b (please check the reports and various ranking - HBS always top in every league)
There is hardly anything to call between the 2 schools as far as league tables are concerned!
This years provisional government league tables (for what they are worth!) put Kendrick far above HBS with regard to Progress 8 and everything else is too close to call!

Out of interest would you have moved if your DC was in Band A?
acool

Post by acool »

One year spike does not matter - if you see the data from years then I would rate HBS over the Kendrick (again it's opinion).

Yes for sure. Had I been in your place, I would certainly move nearby area but depending upon the outcome of Mar allocation.

One point to note - Progress 8 (I have my own opinion about it) if you take a top layer then the progress 8 can be really challenging because they are already at high level. The Progress 8 matters if everyone takes the student at the same level.

Few stat - Total student appear for Kendrick = @1,000 and this school have strict catchment area Or designated area - so qualified with in catchment are @230 ish

Vs

HBS = @ 4K students appear for exam and then 300 and then final 100 (after second test)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now