Royal Grammar School and John Hampden GS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kestrel

Royal Grammar School and John Hampden GS

Post by kestrel »

We are around 6.1mi away and OA for RGS. The allocation profile for 2019 states " some allocated under rule 6 (distance) to 7.197 miles". I couldn't find last year's admission criteria, but 2020 one states that rule 6 pertains to OA. I have looked at the allocations spreadsheet and looks like it is a hit and miss with respect to allocations based on OA. We'll put it down as one of the schools, but what are the chances of getting in?
Our DS wants this as his first preference, and as 'scary mum' rightly suggested on the other post, "children can't comprehend the practicalities, and will be attracted by the strangest things" and to prove her right, my son's preference for RGS is down to Table tennis :D
Also, what are the general thoughts on John Hampden? A bit surprised that the last allocation was around 12.961. Is it true that High Wycombe schools have dropped down in popularity and is there a good reason for it?

Thanks for all your help!
WillowFae

Re: Royal Grammar School and John Hampden GS

Post by WillowFae »

They do have odd reasons at time. My son preferred AGS over SHF because of the lecture theatre at AGS!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Exactly. I think this is an occasion where the adult opinion trumps the child's. On the other hand, they have to be going somewhere that they feel they will be happy at for the next 7 years. Of course they may also be swayed by where their friends are going. They may well have different friends by Christmas, but it's hard for them to understand that.
scary mum
sparklies

Post by sparklies »

DD2 was particularly swayed by one school because the SENCO offered her a sweet :roll:
kestrel

Post by kestrel »

BTW, are there any realistic chances of getting into RGS? And anything to consider on JHGS that resulted in allocations going beyond the usual radius?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

kestrel wrote:BTW, are there any realistic chances of getting into RGS? And anything to consider on JHGS that resulted in allocations going beyond the usual radius?
Based on last year's allocations it looks reasonably likely, but of course things can change - there have been years when you would not have done. Unfortunately no-one can say, but if it is genuinely your first choice put it first.
JHGS - as I said on another thread, possibily just a waxing & waning of popularity.
scary mum
kestrel

Post by kestrel »

scary mum wrote:
kestrel wrote:BTW, are there any realistic chances of getting into RGS? And anything to consider on JHGS that resulted in allocations going beyond the usual radius?
Based on last year's allocations it looks reasonably likely, but of course things can change - there have been years when you would not have done. Unfortunately no-one can say, but if it is genuinely your first choice put it first.
JHGS - as I said on another thread, possibily just a waxing & waning of popularity.
So, nothing wrong with JHGS per se, other than parents/children preferring other schools over this one. Good to know. We think we have 3 of our 6, and it is about getting the order that suits our child. We'll be going to open morning at RGS tomorrow, and hopefully we'll be able to formalise our choices.
And many many thanks for your help here! Hopefully, I'll not have any other queries, but you never know.
RobertBucks

Post by RobertBucks »

Both schools seems to wax and wane in terms of popularity. More boys from my son's year chose JH over RGS last year. This year RGS may be more popular - especially to those who look at gcse results/league tables etc
kestrel

Post by kestrel »

RobertBucks wrote:Both schools seems to wax and wane in terms of popularity. More boys from my son's year chose JH over RGS last year. This year RGS may be more popular - especially to those who look at gcse results/league tables etc
Thanks RobertBucks!