CAF form

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mumof52020abc

CAF form

Post by mumof52020abc »

Hi, all my DS passed all 3 CEM entrance tests with good marks.
We live in catchment for one of them and his older brother attends there.
Can I just put all 3 grammar schools on the CAF or do I need to pick a non grammar school too :)
I have only just registered as a member to post but have used this website for many years and has been an amazing help!
Trafmum82

Re: CAF form

Post by Trafmum82 »

Congratulations to your DS!!

My DD has been sucessful in her exams also, achieving a pass at AGGS, Sale, Stretford and Urmston. I'm sure you can just put all the grammers if you want, i don't think its a requirement to put a non grammar school but i'm sure there will be someone more knowledgable than me on here that might know more!

We filled out my DDs CAF yesterday. We put our preferred grammar first (in catchment), followed by our local secondary school as her second choice (DS goes there and loves it, and my DD really liked it when we went to look around). Followed by the other three grammars, slighly having second thoughts about this now but I let my DD have the final decision!
mumof52020abc

Post by mumof52020abc »

Congratulations to your DD too! Thank you for your reply.
I am fairly confident he should get 1st choice grammar as we are in catchment and he has a sibling there. His score was way above the 334 too.
The secondary school option we would have wanted had he not passed is one we are OOC for so I just don’t think it is worth putting down.
I just want to get it right so I can relax and not have to think about this anymore :D
fta

Post by fta »

Congrats to all for passing exam.

Daft question, my daughter also passed all exams, I was wondering if the choices are given to Trafford Council on paper CAF form or through their online application process through their website?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

fta wrote:Congrats to all for passing exam.

Daft question, my daughter also passed all exams, I was wondering if the choices are given to Trafford Council on paper CAF form or through their online application process through their website?
You complete the online form for the LEA where you live.

I think you click "school admissions login" https://www.trafford.gov.uk/residents/s ... sions.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fta

Post by fta »

hermanmunster wrote:
fta wrote:Congrats to all for passing exam.

You complete the online form for the LEA where you live.

I think you click "school admissions login" https://www.trafford.gov.uk/residents/s ... sions.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Understood, thats what I thought. Cheers
Trafmum82

Post by Trafmum82 »

I think we are in catchment for both Sale and AGGS so toyed with the idea of putting Sale (our closest and 1.5 miles ‘as the crow flies’) then AGGS. We didn’t really consider AGGS would be an option for her as to be honest I didn’t think she would pass that one :oops:.

But my DD was clear that she wanted to put Sale then our local comp second, and AGGS 3rd, as she isn’t massively keen on a single sex school (she does have a lot of friends who are boys, so I think the idea of it being all girls makes her nervous)

We have followed what my DD wanted but I keep wondering if it’s the right choice! We are around 3.5 miles from AGGS so if she didn’t get Sale would have a good shot at that, however the way we have put the schools in order of preference currently if she didn’t get Sale then she would miss out on a Grammar place, as would most likely be offered our local comp. I feel a bit silly throwing a Grammar place away since she passed them all. But on the other hand our local comp is fab and my son already goes and loves it.

It’s such a tough decision to make! Hopefully she will get Sale as everyone keeps assuring me she should as we are very close and all the rest will be irrelevant :D
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

mumof52020abc wrote:Hi, all my DS passed all 3 CEM entrance tests with good marks.
We live in catchment for one of them and his older brother attends there.
Can I just put all 3 grammar schools on the CAF or do I need to pick a non grammar school too :)
I have only just registered as a member to post but have used this website for many years and has been an amazing help!
You have to look at the admission criteria for each school. You need a "banker" to ensure you get a school place in March - or at least one that would be acceptable. Just because you only name 3, it doesn't mean Trafford have to give you one of those 3. If you don't get a place at one of the 3 school you've named, you'd just get a place at whichever school still has places when everyone who expressed a preference has been allocated a place (which could be miles away, entirely unsuitable).

Are you sure you will get a place at the 1st one (in catchment and sibling)? If so, that's your "banker" and you should be OK. However, if you're OOC for the other 2, and there is a possibility you won't get a place at the 1st grammar, put 2 other choices including a non-grammar where you know you'll get a place.
mumof52020abc

Post by mumof52020abc »

Thank you Mandy21, I think 1st choice will be okay.
I did notice on the CAF for 1st choice it states 'This is a foundation school and you may be required complete further supplementary forms to apply'. Anyone else had this on schools preferenced ?:)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now