Is she on the right track?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pixiedust101

Is she on the right track?

Post by pixiedust101 »

Hi

Have just received my DD's school report for this year, and was given her SAT results.

She is in year 4 and got 4a in Reading, 3a in writing, 3b in maths and 3a in Science.

She has done so well as she was in the remedial class in year 1!

We are trying to work out whether or not to give a big push towards grammer school, but are really aware of the fact that we want her to be able to keep up and feel comfortable if she was successful.

Maths is her weakest subject and and we are based in the Kent area where Maths seems to be the main focus.

Any advice would be most welcome!
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

what did she get at KS1, and what are they predicting (or is it too early for this) for KS2?

On what basis did they give a grade at the end of Year 4?

Does the primary school think she is likely to be in the top 25% in the Kent 11+? If it is a Kent state primary that has had children sit it each year for the past few years they should have a reasonable feel whether she is in the right "ballpark" or not.

Good luck.
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

As the 11+ results will now be known before you have to submit your school preferences there is really nothing to lose - it's just whether you want to put your daughter through the process or not.

Of all the children I know who failed 11+ this year, every single one failed on the maths paper. I think that there are areas covered in the 11+ that will not have been covered at school, algebra possibly being one area, which is one reason why so many people opt for a tutor.

I guess your decision depends a bit on the schools that are in your area. If there is a really good non-selective you may decide not to go through all the stress of 11+. If you are in West Kent then the grammars are all heavily oversubscribed so it's difficult to get a place.

I think your daughter's school are probably in the best position to advise you.
pixiedust101

Post by pixiedust101 »

We have parents evening later on this week, so I am going to ask then.

I don't mind tutoring her to get used to the exams, i.e. familiarising herself, but do not want to tutor her just to pass the exams and then struggle in a grammer school environment - I don't think that is fair to her at all. But also don't want to deny her the chance to go for a grammer school - it is such a dilemna - so much easier in my day when we just sat the 11+ and either passed or failed with no really big hula about it!
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Pixiedust - I've already replied on another thread. Might add though - I wouldn't trust a school to tell me the ins and outs of the 11+ system and whats best for my child. Playground talk is not good either. Ask questions on this forum and go for gut instinct.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Don't forget that you still have a whole year before your 11+ application has to be in. Why not wait until your child has settled into year 5 and have a word with her year 5 teacher?
You do not have to start tutoring now, I'm sure January would be fine - I have a son in year 4 now and I'm just concentrating on lots of reading and vocabulary, and also nailing those times tables! If you start tutoring too early I'm sure the child will be bored sick of it and also if you have a child in the top 25% that child will learn quickly anyway.

Good luck. :D
cindy

Post by cindy »

hi,

I agree with Tracy,

It was only as we were most way into the process that it became cear how little the school knew about the 11+.
They are apparentely not allowed to coach the children on the 11+ although this does not appear to be the case in all schools. It appears that some schools ignore this rule.

My two are at GS. the primary they went to did not coach, at all. I did home familurisation with both. The first failed by one point, but was accepted on appeal, the other passed and will start this Sept.
My first, Christopher is about middle of the class on acheivment.

good luck

Cindy
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

I agree that on the whole they know very little about the 11+, how to fill in the CAF, secondary school admissions process etc. A lot of people get bad admissions advice from primary schools, but I don't know why they think they should know much about it - obviously some just will, but it is not their job.

However, a school that does CATs etc, should have some idea whether a pupil is approximately in the top 25% of the population or not, and therefore in with a chance or not. Also, a largeish primary that has many people sitting the 11+ each year will have some kind of feel for the likely passers and failers.

But of course, this is just one bit of information for you - the school still could be wrong but it helps you build up a picture.