Sams Selection Review 2019 (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sam2000

Sams Selection Review 2019 (Bucks)

Post by sam2000 »

My SS got 119 (VR 126, Math 117, NVR 109)
As you can see NVR is the weakest.

Spoke to Head Teacher who recommended Selection Review. She has given a 1,1 rating for SS and is very supportive. She mentioned it is rare for someone with the 1,1 rating to not pass 11plus
He is rated as "Greater Depth" for Maths, Reading and Writing
He is in the top set for both Maths and English
His reports are good

They did CAT within two weeks of sitting 11 plus
His scores are

Verbal 123
Quantitative 120
Non Verbal 126
Spatial 130

He also sat another admission test for a local school (An academy)
This test is entirely NVR. The score range is 70 -140
He got 128

While this school isn't a grammar school, it is very popular as an 'insurance policy' for parents who target a grammar school so competition is quite strong in this test too.

So I would like to argue , based on the above, his performance on the day was unexpectedly low, particularly with NVR, and that his stronger NVR scores in both CAT and the other admission test show that what he got for 11+ doesn't truly reflect his capability in this area.

I guess the review panel would also look for extenuating circumstances.

To be honest we really don't know what made performance go below his usual level but there are a couple of possible things I can think of

1) On the day before the test he has an after school sports club and at the end , during tidy up a teacher got cross about a the group of boys for being clumsy (They dropped something they were carrying) and threatened all of them with 'yellow cards' (which he didn't carry out the following day) but that did stress him out and when he was back home he cried and wanted to quit the after school club.

2) His grandfather who lives abroad was ill and his grandmother was worried. The day before the test he overhead his grandmother talking to us over skype and was worried about him. Asked if he was going to die.

There were no obvious sings of worry when we left him at school but it is possible something might have been in the back of his mind.

Should we mention the above under extenuating circumstances? Or do they sound too trivial?

Do we stand a reasonable chance in a selection review?

Is there anything in our case that make you think skipping the review and waiting for appeal a better idea?

It would be great if you would share your thoughts on this please

Sam
Etienne

Re: Sams Selection Review 2019 (Bucks)

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)

The academic evidence looks quite good to me, so long as the progress chart completed by the headteacher shows consistent progress leading up to the current GDS, and so long as the headteacher's overall recommendations turned out to be reliable.
sam2000 wrote:Should we mention the above under extenuating circumstances? Or do they sound too trivial?
You may as well mention them. The difficulty, of course, is finding evidence of the impact on the child.
Section 5 of the headteacher's review form states:
    • Please include any health, special needs, language, pupil premium (including Looked After Child or Service Family) or disability factors that the school is aware of, as well as incidents that occurred immediately prior to the test, or during the test,that may have affected the child’s performance. Were you notified of any exceptional or extenuating circumstances before test results were available? *Yes/No
      Please confirm that the parent has provided evidence to you *Yes/No
      How much impact do these circumstances appear to have had on the child’s performance? *Significant impact / Some impact / No impact (* circle as appropriate)
On the other hand, the panel might take the view that a shortfall of two marks doesn't take much explaining.
Do we stand a reasonable chance in a selection review?
A 63% chance based solely on last year's figures!
Is there anything in our case that make you think skipping the review and waiting for appeal a better idea?
Extenuating circumstances might be easier to deal with at an appeal. On the other hand, the closer you are to 121, the more the odds move in favour of a successful review.

We can't risk pointing you in a particular direction - it's too much of a gamble!
Etienne
sam2000

Post by sam2000 »

Thank you so much for this Etienne,
I have been reading some of the stuff you have written elsewhere in the forum and I find them extemely helpful and I am amazed how you find the time to write all this.

I understand this is always going to be a gamble. My gut instinct is to apply for selection review and keep my fingers crossed

I understand the deadline for applications is 8th of November so I have some time. Should I submit it as early as possible? Is there any advantage for applying early?

Because I like to take the time to read about this and understand the process well before applying so I would like to make sure if it is OK to take the time.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

sam2000 wrote:I understand the deadline for applications is 8th of November so I have some time. Should I submit it as early as possible? Is there any advantage for applying early?
None at all. Take your time.
Because I like to take the time to read about this and understand the process well before applying so I would like to make sure if it is OK to take the time.
Very wise! :)
Etienne
sam2000

Post by sam2000 »

Thank you so much Etienne, You are a star!

The head teacher explained that selection panel is only interested in academic evidence such as school reports CATs etc. and she encouraged us to send a copy of the results he got for the admission test. The head teachers summery itself isn't ready yet but she is going to send it to us soon.

Is there anything else we can do that can improve his chances? Any documents to add or anything we should do?
sam2000

Post by sam2000 »

On the selection review form there is a section

"Step 4 - Tell us what grounds you have for asking for a Selection Review

Here I wonder what I should say. I am could say his scores are unexpectedly low. Especially in VR. He has got a better VR score in CAT and also in the academy test. There is not section for extenuating circumstances. I can think of a couple things that happened the day before that might have affected him (I know it is weak because HT was not notified) I thought I might as well add it in this section? Anyone who could advice if that is OK?

Also anything else that is worth mentioning here?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Summarise your academic case plus any extenuating circumstances.

E32c "Grounds for a review" tells you the sort of thing you might write in Step 4:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... aneous#e32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
sam2000

Post by sam2000 »

Thank you so much again Etiene,
That was very useful. I feel my case is somewhat similar to Mary's in that the academic evidence seems OK but extenuating circumstances may sound weak. Mary has got an Educational Psychologist’s report. Is this something that would improve the chances you think?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Mary has got an Educational Psychologist’s report. Is this something that would improve the chances you think?
Probably not in Mary's case because she already has sound evidence of reasoning ability (the CAT scores).

The timescale for getting an EP report may be too tight for a review.
In those cases where an EP report is submitted, it was likely to have been obtained at an earlier date to check for any specific learning difficulties.

EP reports purely as academic evidence are probably a bit more common at appeals.
Etienne
sam2000

Post by sam2000 »

Thanks very much for that Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now