Essay for Sutton G

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JASMINE

Essay for Sutton G

Post by JASMINE »

Sorry the essays are under Eleven Plus English - Essay Writing and titled Tsunami, Alone and Ace.

Jas
mad?

Post by mad? »

Jasmine, my dd starts year 7 in September having sat and passed Tiffin and some independent exams which involved essay writing. I saw the essays you refer to about 6 weeks before the exams and got into a total panic, nearly deciding not to let her sit the exams if that was the standard required. Those essays were certainly of a higher standard than any thing she could have written - let alone in 20/30 minutes. In the end we went ahead (obviously!) and I did not even show her the essays; as I thought she would get as freaked out as I was adn we were runnignoput of time anyway. I did however use them myself as a sort of 'template'; particularly the teacher feedback; to try to help me understand (and thereby maybe dd) how she could improve her writing. I am really glad I hadn't seen the essays earlier as I think I would have spent a lot of tiem trying anad failing to get her writing up to the standard shown, and this would have caused both of us enormous stress!
mad?
JASMINE

Post by JASMINE »

Hi Mad,

Thank you, I totally agree with you because I really got into a panic when I saw those essays and I knew no matter how much my son practised on
his essay's they would not be of that standard. He is a typical 10 year old boy and his essay's will start off okay but always end up with guns and gore.

Congralutions on dd passing the exam and you did the right thing to go for it. I will like yourself use them as template but won't expect to work to that standard.

I also find that boys and essays don't really go together.
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Hi

I would agree. I have had 3 boys sit and pass the Sutton grammar exam and not one of them was capable of producing something like that in the time required.

I think all boys struggle with essay writing and 20 minutes is an extremely short period of time especially if they are going to spend a few minutes planning, which I believe is essential. I think it is possible for them all to improve however with work.

I think the Sutton exam is the most tricky as there has been no choice of title for the last few years and none of them has been a traditional story. For some that is an advantage, but certainly not for all.
melinda

Post by melinda »

Hi I was looking at those essays and they are very good.
I think, as Surreymum says, Sutton Grammar have not given very exciting subjects for their essays in the last two years or so. I think last year was "What would you do if you were PM" and this year (our year) it was "What rule at school would you change"
These are not really essays, but discussions.
Anyway, my son writes well when he can write exciting stories of space and adventure, but those titles do nothing for the imagination!

My son's "problem" (tho he passed!!) is his handwriting and that was my big concern, not so much the content, but whether or not the examiner would be able to read it!
Despie protestations at school and at home, his handwriting remains similar to a spider making it's escape across the page!

Hopefully, this november the title offered will allow for some description and expression.
JASMINE

Post by JASMINE »

Hi Melinda and Surreymum,

Yes your so right, Sutton G hasn't chosen the most interesting of subjects in the last 2 years to intrique the minds of 10 and 11 year olds. Infact I probably wouldn't be able to write much on the topics given either.
Hardly Inspector Morse is it.

The writing thing is another boy thing, my son's writing is messy at the best of times and he certainly makes no attempt to change it for the better.

I wanted to ask if either of you while preparing for the 11 plus, ever used the reading books recommended for the 11 plus and if you did, were they useful and is it worth getting them.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Hi Jasmine

What reading books? (have another DD 'to do')

Sorry just realised what you meant. I didn't find any of these books useful for the composition, although they were good for vr and nvr.
mad?
melinda

Post by melinda »

Hi Jasmine,
I can't help you with the reading books. I used a tutor and left it all to her as she was very experienced with the tests and knew the "system"

I spent many a happy hour browsing in the book shop, but to be honest there were so many I would not know where to start!
JASMINE

Post by JASMINE »

Hi,

On the same site as the essays, there are some recommended reading books for the 11 plus. There is a list of atleast 15 books.
(Hurricane Summer, A Long Way Home etc)

Sorry mad I didn't understand when you meant by there useful for nvr. I was thinking more in terms of being useful for comprehension,
vocabulary etc.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Hi Jasmine

Sorry - I have been to the uniform shop today and am still reeling from the shock. I had totally confused two bits of the site. With regard to those reading books, my dd has only read 2 of them so I would not regard them as essential, although it's always nice to be prompted to find them sometihng isn't it? The nvr/vr reference was when I was looking on the wrong page of the site - I thought you were referring to the books of practise papers, and was trying to say that I didn't find any of them useful with regards to essay writing! That said - my dd did some nfer vr adn nvr pratise papers and I think these helped her in terms of prep.

Sorry for the confusion and good luck.
mad?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now